Hot Rod Forum banner

chassis painting

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  38 special 
#1 ·
Was trying to figure which way to go with this post...so since it deals with painting thought I'd stick it in this forum. Will be getting ready to paint chassis hopefully this month. Do I put in the engine, tranny and rear end to get everything (mounts etc.) in place before painting and take it all back out to paint or do I just paint and stick everything in after painting. Seems like a lot of work putting in everything and taking it back out but I guess logic would dictate it may be a better route to go. What route do you guys use? also I might paint the tranny and engine and rear end all the same color (different from the chassis) Is there a good long lasting paint to use for these items?

#2 ·
Usually if their isn't any or very little part placement that will be affected by the paint or coating just do everything seperate and put it together. If you arn't going to powder coat the frame and susp. parts the next best thing would be a urethane. If your going to be painting a basic color one or POR-15's topcoats works great as well. If you want a specialty color use a arylic urethane or polyurethane paint and clear coat.

HK

#3 ·
Agree w/HK- I always mock everything then take it apart to really clean and paint before final assembly- not only looks more prfessional but if you DRIVE it alot (as I do) you've taken care of any little places prone to catch stuff and rust later. I've used POR15 a lot but on the 'J' I used a single stage enamel with hardening catalyst (MartinSenior at NAPA)and it resists chips very well. Also I've used Eastwood paints for chassis and they are very durable. Take lotsa pictures too to show off all that suspension work to people later!!!!

#4 ·
Thanks HK and DJ. I've been takin lots of pics even with the digital camera. Lost lots of those when I got a virus in the computer before I got it backed up. My photo albums coming along fine. I just need some heat outside so I can work on it and take more pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.