Hot Rod Forum banner

Chassis swop

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
Can I fit a 67 camaro body onto a 74 Pontiac lemans chassis

#6 ·
You may need to fabricate a replacement subframe for the existing Camaro subframe and then back half the chassis. I think that would work better and be more feasible. with import duty and shipping our aftermarket pieces can get spendy. So it is ingenuity and work to make this project go..

Sam

#7 ·
Basic 67-69 camaro rolling chassis ( body on) without anything else no engine or interior goes for $15000.00 to $20000. If I want to complete project I have to import most of the parts and maybe still upgrade to new generation parts. We do not have bodies and engines in mass amounts to get secondhand parts from. Looking for ways to save some money on the build without compromising a lot. All advise is appreciated

#8 ·
There is no such thing as a Camaro "rolling chassis". The first gen Camaro used a front subframe. The rest of the car is unibody. The 74 LeMans is a full frame car with a differend width and different wheelbase. You can do any swap with enough money and welding power, but this will NOT be easy or cheap. When you are done you will have a turd with no value.

#9 ·
I can feel your pain... I used to live in Canada and now live in France. And yes, you will have to order many parts from the states. Although, for regular maintenance parts, ordering in the US from a big place like Rockauto really is pretty cheap...

It is usually (pretty much always!) cheaper to buy a complete car that needs few parts than to start from a car that needs many things: the total of the parts is pretty much always more expensive than the car with all the parts on it. So maybe you need to re-think your project.
Putting a '67 Camaro on a LeMans chassis seems like a goofy idea, they are probably not even the same width/length... That would involve a lot of work, as mentionned earlier. And I have a hard time seeing the finish thing looking good (although I really love that yellow Camaro posted by Crispy!).
Obviously you are not concerned about keeping your Camaro numbers matching, and since you consider a chassis swap, you can fabricate, so time to think outside the box: maybe you can find locally a running (but wrecked or rusted) US car to get all the running gear, and maybe wheels, shocks, exhaust, gas tank...
Then for the interior, look into creating your own: some front seats from a (big) local car, you could create a whole interior in aluminium sheet (door panels, rear shelf, floor, dashboard even...). Use aftermarket gauges for your custom dashboard.
Or get a complete/running car...
You will need to order a certain number of Camaro parts from the US anyway you go, though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.