Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cheap 1k Sealer Primer
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cheap 1k Sealer Primer

I know, I know, I know that I shouldn't go cheap when it comes to stuff like this but Im painting my 2000 Acura TL Daily Driver. I got into an accident and crashed the front end. I took it to a shop and get it straightened and High quality OEM like parts replaced (Hood, bumper guard) I went to my local paint store and purchased the Base Coat ($260 gallon) , cheap unknown brand clear ($100 gallon) and I asked for Urethane Sealer/Primer. He game me what I later realized is Transtar 1k Speed Sealer.. As he layed the items on the counter a guy from a local motorcyle paint shop says ' Thats some pretty good stuff' I meantioned that I usually order my with a reputable name brand online, or SPI (sorry John at House of Klear). It gave me a bit more confidence knowing that a shop actually uses it and is happy with it. I was in a rush and when I got home I realized its a 1k acrylic sealer ... WTF!
OK this is for a daily driver 13 year old car.. I just need this car to get me to and from work for the next year or so but would like it to maintain a good resale value.. What is the risk of using this 'cheap' primer? how does it harder/cure without being a 2k? Anyone used or heard of this product before.. I know, I know.. I should of spend a lil more and got SPI Urethane 2k Primer and SPI Universal clear but Ill save that for my other classic car projects
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transtar.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	70848