Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cheap 1k Sealer Primer
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino View Post
I know, I know, I know that I shouldn't go cheap when it comes to stuff like this but Im painting my 2000 Acura TL Daily Driver. I got into an accident and crashed the front end. I took it to a shop and get it straightened and High quality OEM like parts replaced (Hood, bumper guard) I went to my local paint store and purchased the Base Coat ($260 gallon) , cheap unknown brand clear ($100 gallon) and I asked for Urethane Sealer/Primer. He game me what I later realized is Transtar 1k Speed Sealer.. As he layed the items on the counter a guy from a local motorcyle paint shop says ' Thats some pretty good stuff' I meantioned that I usually order my with a reputable name brand online, or SPI (sorry John at House of Klear). It gave me a bit more confidence knowing that a shop actually uses it and is happy with it. I was in a rush and when I got home I realized its a 1k acrylic sealer ... WTF!
OK this is for a daily driver 13 year old car.. I just need this car to get me to and from work for the next year or so but would like it to maintain a good resale value.. What is the risk of using this 'cheap' primer? how does it harder/cure without being a 2k? Anyone used or heard of this product before.. I know, I know.. I should of spend a lil more and got SPI Urethane 2k Primer and SPI Universal clear but Ill save that for my other classic car projects
I wouldnt use any sealer at all and just return that stuff ,just sand with 400 the OEM finish,thats pretty good stuff ,its the aftermarket parts that have the crap primer on them......Why did you get a gallon of base ,are you painting the whole car??? it would only take 2 qts ,tops ,to paint whole nose and blend doors \ 2 qts of clear