Cheap auto darkening welding helmets - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have pointed out in the past that the earlier Hobart/Miller helmets (The "Hood") had the SAME EXACT Chameleon brand lens as the similar helmet from HF, the HF shell was made cheaper but the electrics were the SAME THING, the Hobart/Miller was $199.00 and the HF was $59.00! They have changed the lens in the last few years but so has HF and I have no idea if they are the same now or not but they sure were when Hobart first came out with these things. I have used the HF version and know of several others who really like them, while I probably would not buy one for commercial use (the shell and headgear are not the best) I would have no problems at all with using one for hobby and weekend work. There are however a heck of a lot of these HF helmets used on the job everyday and it seems that most people who use them really like them.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

OK,I think I know whats going on here ...Its a conspiricy... the commie bass turds found out just how many hotrodders there are over here and how good our eyes are for shooting so they flood the market with cheap helmets slowly blinding us then they just walk right in because we are all blind cant shoot a gun,drive tanks or fly our vidio game bombers....and we think we pulled a fast one on russia.dem sneaky little sheets
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

i just got a cupun for the HF helmet for 39.99 in my email box. I think its this one http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=46092

here is the pic of the cupun
Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

sunburn too

In the summer I was TIG welding some stuff sitting at the work bench . I was wearing a thin shirt and did not put on my leathers since they get very hot and ended up with a sun burned chest . It had lighter area where the pockets were and a skunk stripe down the center of my chest where the doubled area shirt-buttons were. now if I am doing anything other than tacks I use my welding jacket.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGM
i just got a cupun for the HF helmet for 39.99 in my email box. I think its this one http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=46092

here is the pic of the cupun

I have the HF helmet and the gloves. Both are very good 'hobby' quality. Speaking of welding radiation, a friend of mine (was my best man) and I took welding @ Jr College in the 60s. He would arc weld with his shirt off to get a tan! He also drove a 40 Phord pickemup w/ hot 289, old Phord 3spd, and stock banjo rear end. He also had old Indy tires that were something like 20" wide (REALLY rare sight in '67!!). Needless to say he spent nearly every weekend rebuilding his switch box and replacing twisted axles!! Not the sharpest pencil in the box.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 AM
At a loss for words

I have to drive an hour each way to get to the closest Harbor Freight. I should have picked up a bunch of clamps and other things while I was there a couple weeks back because I really could have used them this week.
Still haven't ordered a helmet. Been busy doing some remodeling in my basement, so no time to play with my toys in the garage!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meancuda
I have to drive an hour each way to get to the closest Harbor Freight. I should have picked up a bunch of clamps and other things while I was there a couple weeks back because I really could have used them this week.
Still haven't ordered a helmet. Been busy doing some remodeling in my basement, so no time to play with my toys in the garage!

That helmet is a good one, the shell is a bit light and the headgear is not strong enough for everyday use on the job but for home/hobby use it is a good one and the electrics work really well.

Now about those clamps, if you are talking about the C-clamps I would suggest passing on them if you plan to do much more than woodworking with them, I don't know for sure what they are made of but it looks like some kind of compressed dirt! In any case whatever they make them out of they are not really very good for welding, they will do ok unless you really bear down on them but then they break way to easy or at least they do for welding clamps. HF has some good stuff, in spite of what some believe, but unfortunately their C-clamps are one the items that are not so good. Maybe I expect too much from my clamps but for them to be useful to me I have to be able to depend on them not breaking when I need to really clamp down on something.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 PM
At a loss for words

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
That helmet is a good one, the shell is a bit light and the headgear is not strong enough for everyday use on the job but for home/hobby use it is a good one and the electrics work really well.

Now about those clamps, if you are talking about the C-clamps I would suggest passing on them if you plan to do much more than woodworking with them, I don't know for sure what they are made of but it looks like some kind of compressed dirt! In any case whatever they make them out of they are not really very good for welding, they will do ok unless you really bear down on them but then they break way to easy or at least they do for welding clamps. HF has some good stuff, in spite of what some believe, but unfortunately their C-clamps are one the items that are not so good. Maybe I expect too much from my clamps but for them to be useful to me I have to be able to depend on them not breaking when I need to really clamp down on something.
I was referring to the C style vise grip clamps. I think Northern also has a set for a decent price, but I've seen some cheap stuff come from there as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meancuda
I was referring to the C style vise grip clamps.

I have never tried those since I have a bunch of the Vise Grip brand that I have had for years. Most likely they would be ok and for the price worth a try anyway.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I'm surprised at your HF C-clamp bad experience. I have probably a dozen of them in different sizes from tiny 1"ers to big 10"ers and have abused them to death and they still keep going. Have put cheaters on the handles and still no problems. Maybe they have changed the iron formula since I bought mine?

I just found one tool that you should steer WAY clear of. I got an exhaust pipe expander. Put in the first pipe end and cinched down on the tightening rod. EVERY part of the tool broke into little pieces like it was made of glass! They make them of sintered powdered metal for some unfathomable reason and it has zero strength. I am wondering if the bars could be broken by hand?! Oh, and the tubing end is just like it came from the factory!!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

Like I said I may be expecting too much from those clamps, I have spent years working with forged steel ones so maybe I am a little bit spoiled.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred

I also have a bunch of them c-clamp's..And work the he** out of them,everyday, Never had any problem with them,,And if I ever do... I will put it in the trash can,And buy another one..He** they are usually on sale here for $1.99..
Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

c jaw vice grips

I have a couple c jaw vice grip style clamps from HF and in my oponion they are junk. the jaws are loose and when i hammer on them to tighten up the connections it still doesn't help. I scored 3 rusty real vice grip brand c jaw clamps at a swap meet for a couple bucks each and despite being old and used they still work great.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Seems like maybe I just got some out of a bad batch so next time I go over there I will pick up a couple of them and try them out. Something I did get at the "sidewalk" sale that I would recommend highly is the puller set they have on sale regularly for about $6. It comes with grade 5 bolts which are adequate for most jobs but for really tough pulls grade 8 could of course be used, the pusher bolt and puller frame are as tough as anyone is likely to need. I have used mine in a few places that really took some torquing down to accomplish the pull and the threads on the frame and pusher bolt both held up with no apparent damage at all, this thing would be a bargain at a heck of a lot more than the ridiculous price of only $6! (I think it's regular price is only $9.95)
Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I have a couple c jaw vice grip style clamps from HF and in my oponion they are junk. the jaws are loose and when i hammer on them to tighten up the connections it still doesn't help..
I wasn't referring to ''vice grip style'' clamps, I was referring to the ''C-Clamps''..

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.