Cheap Graphic frisket - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cheap Graphic frisket

Found some cheap frisket material at Home Depot the other day.
A member of an airbrush board suggested it and I got some and gave it a work out tonight. It's called Clear Contact and is in the wallpaper area.
It comes in 18"x24' roll's and is $6.00.
This product is great for masking and is reasonably solvent proof as well as low tack. I did some flame layout's and it does great with base paints. Kandy's are a little tough on it as they wrinkle it up at the edges some but so far seems to be holding it's own. Clearing it tomorrow along with another Kandy color so we'll see how it does.
It's fairly thin and does require a light touch on the cut out's. I did some pull off's for different Kandy's and will reapply those as well to see how they do on the re coat over them.
I got my LPH-400 Iwata today and am looking forward to spraying some clear as well. Thanks for the tips Bob.
Mike.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2005, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Mike, I want to hear your opinion on the Iwata-so let me know. I think you'll be impressed. Thanks for the frisk paper tip. I've been using decal transfer paper for awhile now but it's thick stuff. Wish I could find something that would stretch well over a round object like bike tanks. Bob
Old 07-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

It works OK for base but the Kandy's wipe it out bad. Seeping under around tight curves as the solvent wrinkle's it up nicely for the Kandy to run under. Similar to tight fine line curves but much worse.The other issue is that after sitting overnight, The adhesive apply's itself well to the underlying coating leaving a sticky residue which will clean up with grease & wax remover but is a major time consumer to remove. The pull off is great with no fine line tape lifting and no bleeding thru the material itself.
I will do more testing later and see if the adhesive issue can be resolved as well as other minor ticks.
It's cheap and does a fair job of masking,reasonably solvent proof and maybe with a short "on the project" time would be worth trying.

Bob, "If" I get the staircase hallway painted, Mom say's I can go out in the shop and play tomorrow so I'll get to try it out.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:55 PM

Last journal entry: Nitroplate
Last photo:

I was just reading this thread and thought maybe I could help you out. Artool makes a Stretchmask.It is a multi-medium,stretchable and flexible reposistionable masking film.It works great on helmets and tanks.It won't wrinkle,bleed or flutter and it won't lift paint when removed.And the most important thing it is solvent-proof.They also make a regular frisket film that works great.As far as spray guns go,Iwata is by far the best there is...If you are using a LPH400LV with the split tip,MAKE SURE you use a HVLP coupler,fittings on your hose and gun.If you haven't heard of these,most of your Automotive paint stores have them.Most paint companies recommend a 1.2 or 1.3 for spraying basecoat,and a 1.3 or 1.4 for spraying most HIGH SOLIDS clears.Another good gun is the LPH300LV.It is just like the 400 but has a smaller body and is lighter.One other thing,when checking air pressure at the gun,MAKE sure you pull the trigger all the way(Iwata).If you don't,the pressure will not be correct.Air pressure for the 400 should be around 16-17 psi @the gun.Remeber,this is an HVLP gun,not a coventional airspray gun.The W400 is a compliant gun.If you use touch-up guns much,try the LPH 50.It is a sweet little gun,and HVLP also.Sorry this is so long,just got on a roll.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

i've tried the stretch mask and found it absolutely useless. maybe others have had different results but i'll be damned if i can get it to work. it wont stick to anything at all and if i do finally get it to stick then its barely on and i could blow it off with just the pressure of an airbrush. doesn't matter the surface either, dull or glossy. i do agree on iwata though. great guns.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcleanr6
i've tried the stretch mask and found it absolutely useless. maybe others have had different results but i'll be damned if i can get it to work. it wont stick to anything at all and if i do finally get it to stick then its barely on and i could blow it off with just the pressure of an airbrush. doesn't matter the surface either, dull or glossy. i do agree on iwata though. great guns.
Really? I have gone thru about 3 rolls of that stuff.It has been real good to me.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Crisco] As far as spray guns go,Iwata is by far the best there is...If you are using a LPH400LV with the split tip,MAKE SURE you use a HVLP coupler,fittings on your hose and gun.If you haven't heard of these,most of your Automotive paint stores have them.Most paint companies recommend a 1.2 or 1.3 for spraying basecoat,and a 1.3 or 1.4 for spraying most HIGH SOLIDS clears.Another good gun is the LPH300LV.It is just like the 400 but has a smaller body and is lighter.One other thing,when checking air pressure at the gun,MAKE sure you pull the trigger all the way(Iwata).If you don't,the pressure will not be correct.Air pressure for the 400 should be around 16-17 psi @the gun. QUOTE]

I like the Iwata, I haven't found the need to use the highflow fittings though, when I had this gun as a demo the rep that clued me into this gun said that it doesn't require the high flow fittings because of the less than average amount of air it consumes. I've been using it with regular fittings with no problems. My Sata is a whole different story-use the fittings and crank the airpressure or atomization is poor. I will try the high flow fittings with the Iwata just to see if there is anything to be gained- not much if any I bet though. Sweet gun I've been spraying with 18-20 at the gun with the trigger pulled but the gun also does choke down nicely for jambs and small parts as well.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Artool has great products but at a GREAT price.
I'm looking for something fairly priced and does a good job.

I have the 1.3 tip set and it IS a FABULOUS gun, well worth the $$$.
My problem is new gun blue's and learning how to use "IT".
I have true 3/8" hose & fittings so air is not an issue. Just learning what IT likes and adjusting IT to MY style.

Outside of the LPH spraying great, the SMALL amount of over spray is unbelievable.

Did I mention the SMALL amount of overspray?

HUMMM???? Regular fitting's huh?? I have BOTH hose's in my booth and will have to try this.
Bob, What PSI are you running at the hose regulator??
Old 07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
I smell like a hotrod!

Last journal entry: windshield
Last photo:

Bee4me sorry to get off track....where you at in AR?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:31 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=
Bob, What PSI are you running at the hose regulator??[/QUOTE]

The mainline pressure is 175, the pressure at the hose to wall regulater connection is 150. I set the gun with a full triggered adjustment of 18-20.

I agree, I don't miss the overspray cloud
Old 07-14-2005, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=baddbob]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
As far as spray guns go,Iwata is by far the best there is...If you are using a LPH400LV with the split tip,MAKE SURE you use a HVLP coupler,fittings on your hose and gun.If you haven't heard of these,most of your Automotive paint stores have them.Most paint companies recommend a 1.2 or 1.3 for spraying basecoat,and a 1.3 or 1.4 for spraying most HIGH SOLIDS clears.Another good gun is the LPH300LV.It is just like the 400 but has a smaller body and is lighter.One other thing,when checking air pressure at the gun,MAKE sure you pull the trigger all the way(Iwata).If you don't,the pressure will not be correct.Air pressure for the 400 should be around 16-17 psi @the gun. QUOTE]

I like the Iwata, I haven't found the need to use the highflow fittings though, when I had this gun as a demo the rep that clued me into this gun said that it doesn't require the high flow fittings because of the less than average amount of air it consumes. I've been using it with regular fittings with no problems. My Sata is a whole different story-use the fittings and crank the airpressure or atomization is poor. I will try the high flow fittings with the Iwata just to see if there is anything to be gained- not much if any I bet though. Sweet gun I've been spraying with 18-20 at the gun with the trigger pulled but the gun also does choke down nicely for jambs and small parts as well.
Which 400 are you using? The W400 is a "compliant" gun.You can get away with regular fittings. The LPH400LV is a HVLP. I bet if you try the bigger fittings you will notice a difference. Old school painters hated it when I walked into a shop and showed them the new "stuff" as they called it,esp. with me being 20 years younger than them.But I always got the last laugh.....
Old 07-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

South of L.R in East End. Nothing but a bunch of dirt tracker's and drag racers around here.

Not to doubt you but the LPH-400 is a LOW PRESSURE gun NOT an HVLP.
It is compliant but not in the true HVLP sense.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

this is on there website...... LPH-400LV is HVLP
ANEST IWATA LPH400-LV

Category: Automotive Refinishing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High performance HVLP center post gravity feed spray gun with low air consumption and superior atomization.

Specifications
Model No. Nozzle
Size Pattern
Width PSI CFM Part No's
Usage
A B C D
LPH400-124LV 1.2 10.2 in 165 9.5 5540 5541 5542 5543 Fine Metal
W/8005A Reg. n/a 5544 5545 5546
LPH400-144LV 1.4 11.4 in 16 9.5 5550 5551 5552 5553 B/C C/C
Single Stage
W/8005A Reg. n/a 5554 5555 5556
LPH400-164LV 1.6 11.8 in 16 9.5 5560 5561 5562 5563 Sealer Enamels
W/8005A Reg. n/a 5564 5565 5566
LPH400-184LV 1.8 12.6 in 16 9.5 5570 5571 5572 5573 Primer
W/8005A Reg. n/a 5574 5575 5576
Notes A = Gun Only
B = Supplied with Cup/Container PCG6PM, part# 6000
C = Supplied with Cup/Container PCG7M, part# 6033B
D = Supplied with Cup/Container PCG10M, part# 6034B

Product Documentation
Parts List

Cups & Containers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCG10M

PCG6PM

PCG7M

1000ml Aluminum Cup, part# 6034B

600ml Plastic Cup, part# 6000
700ml Aluminum Cup, part# 6033B

Anest Iwata USA, Inc.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

"Ouch"

I'll leave the discussion with this,

Talk to someone who KNOW'S the HISTORY of Iwata and these gun's specifically and you'll understand WHAT I'm saying.

I have and they are not the "typical" HVLP science or theory.

Did you know that the latest tip design has been under R&D for 20 years???

I'm also hard headed,stubborn, and set in some way's.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

i've been using my lph400 for about 2 years now with regular fittings and its fine. it only uses somewhere around 9cfm and regular fittings are more than adequate to handle that kind of flow especially with hose pressure at 80psi and turned down to 20 at the gun.

i believe printed right on the head of my gun is lvlp and i do remember reading that in the info that came with the gun. note the lv at the end of the part #'s lph400lv

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.