Cheap lowering tricks? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2003, 04:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Cheap lowering tricks?

Help! I cant afford a lowering kit for my 87 chev p/u. I can fab up new spring mounts for the rear, but the price of dropped spindles is out of the question. I want to drop it 2" in the front and 3-4" in the rear. If I cut the coils to acheive a 2" drop up front will that be to radical to reset the camber/caster? Does anyone have any tips or suggestios? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2003, 09:04 AM

any change front or rear will require an alignment. You did't say if rear is coil or leaf! Front coils can be cut. go slow! cut 1/4 at a time do both sides sit on ground recut
Old 01-15-2003, 09:20 AM

sorry,only have use of left hand right now am arighty after each cut check for interferance(sic) leaf is easier than coils if u don't carry loads pull every other spring leave main and 2nd spring. lowing coil springs are best option if springs are "tight" coils on ends. old skool option is heating coils with jack stands or blocks set to ride height. be careful if you do this as it changes handling not adversly unless you are a performance driver. member any change will effect handling and braking!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 06:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Cheapest way to lower it is let the air out of the tires.LOL
Old 01-16-2003, 03:24 PM

I just lowered my '70 Chevelle wagon in the front by 2". What I did was cut one coil off the top of each spring. If you want to go lower, cut one coil off the other. This doesn't affect the alignment. Don't use a torch to cut because the heat will change the springs tension. The ride becomes a little bouncy but you get used to it quickly. In the rear, I order and installed a 3" lowering springs from CPP at $115/pr. Easy to change.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips. I'll use an abrasive blade for sure. The whole kit would have cost $1300 Cdn. for dropped spindles and spring shackles. Way too much cash seeing as the entire truck is apart and needing so much else. I want to lower it now if I can afford it.(dont want to tear it apart again after its finished.)
Old 01-18-2003, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

For coil springs it's possible to clamp two rings of the coil together. This will shorten the spring and lower the car. I did this and had it clamped for a few years. It lowered the front about an 1.5 inches. Obviously, the amount lowered is going to depend on how much space there is between the coils of the spring. I bought the specific clamps for this at Canadian Tire. I bet it cost $10 for the 4 clamps needed to shorten the 2 front springs. The advantage of this over cutting the coil is that it's reversible. As long as the clamps don't hit against something when the suspension is moving, it should be durable.
dh
Old 01-19-2003, 06:42 AM

i have a 85 silverado. i lowered mine by buying the belltech lowering schackles for the rear($50), and then i cut 1/2 a spring on the front. it lowered the rear about 2 inches and the front about 3/4 inch. the truck sits very level and has a very aggressive stance but is still functional as a truck. the only adverse affects is that the rear end gets noticably stiffer, and you will have to re-align the front end. i work as a front end man and have lowered mine myself. the camber will end up way negative(depending on how many coils you cut), and since you have to disconnect the tie rods to drop the springs your front tires will be toed out. this is a cheap easy way to lower a silverado but it may not be low enough to your liking just depends on what you want out of your truck. i went street/strip but can still tow a boat or any thing else. good luck and i hope this helps.
Tony

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: tonylsg ]</p>
Old 01-19-2003, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

More cool tips. Thats exactly what I'm after Tontlsg... a truck with useability, towing and light hauling. I just wanted to lower it enough to set it apart from the stock look. I expected a front end alignment as well, so thats ok. Thanks again guys.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.