cheap powder coating? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 10:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cheap powder coating?

hello all, been surfing ebay and i came up on some powder coating setup for any where between $75-140. How well can these work? Eastwood even has one for $100

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 03:42 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

ive got one of those, theyre fine for at home powdercoating, the problem is to find oven to cure your parts
Old 05-07-2005, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

I bought one of the yellow ones on ebay and it works perfect, I did numerous sets of wheels, a-arms, exhaust systems, no problem, as a matter of fact my friend had one from Eastwood and liked mine better, said the powder stuck better and I was able to put 2 coats of powder where his wasnt powerful enough to do that as far as the oven I went down to the local appliance store and took home a freezer they were throwing away and a stove and put the elements and controls from the stove into the freezer and it works great, I took the baking rack out of the oven and hung it in the top of the freezer and used that to hang my parts, I put a whole exhaust system in it and baked it at one time. I started with 2 oven elements in it and found one worked better, one thing with powder coating make sure that your edges are not sharp powder doesnt seem to coat a sharp edge and only promotes rust and once the edge starts to rust it works it way underneath the powder coat and causes it to flake off, good luck. Dave
One more thing the high temperture powder coating is not perfected and doesnt work too good as of yet.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the info i will look into geting one off ebay
Old 05-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

I have herd negative things about the cheap powder coats.

We have two experts from the powder coating side on here Powder Bill and GMW, sure they will be on soon and would wait for their recommendation.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:24 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

I have also heard some negative comments about cheap powder guns charging efficiency compared to "name brand" guns, BUT two things to consider:

-I have no direct personal experience with those guns, so the negative comments that I'm passing on is strictly heresay.

-Even if the charging efficiency is reduced compared to a top of the line gun, one can likely overcome that for home use to a large extent by simply preheating the part slightly. That's what the industry typically does for non-conductive or marginally conductive substrates like mediun density fiberboard. Depending on just how good or bad the gun charges, a part temperature anywhere from 130 F to 200 F when spraying should let you get decent film build, even if the electrostatic wrap or faraday penetration isn't optimal.

Bottom line, even if the charging characteristics of the cheap guns isn't so great, for most of us the alternative is wet spray liquid with *Zero* electrostatics, so even a bad powder gun may not look so bad in comparison.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

what is all involved in powder coating? Do i need to take the part down to bare metal.

What else do i need to know befor juping in?

thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Bill, Yahoo has a translator for Spanish to English, German to English and so on, but they don't have one for Engineer to bodyman, what the heck is "electrostatic wrap or faraday penetration". I believe I understand it, but what is an explaination in normal english?

Brian
Old 05-08-2005, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Holy smokes my head is spinning,,, you cant powder coat over paint, grease, rust, everything should be sandblasted before coating for best results and adhersion.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:51 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

Brian, electrostatic wrap is the ability of the powder to wrap around the backside of the part being coated. It's one reason that powder works well for coating complex shaped parts. For example, I recently coated some A-arms made out of DOM tubing. Within limits, I could spray the front side and simply allow the electrostatic wrap to coat the back side of the part. It helps give more even film deposition and avoid bare spots.

Faraday penetration is the ability of the powder to coat into recessed areas. Imagine, for example, an open coffee can that you are spraying into. (A so-called "Faraday cage".) The electrostatics will tend to coat the front part of the can well, the back part of the can fair, but the corners with difficulty. (Like most things in life, electrostatic spray has both its upsides and its downsides.)

Sheetz, its generally best to apply powder to bare metal (or better yet, phosphate pre-treated metal). While some liquid finishes can be topcoated with powder succesfully, many can not, so without doing some experimenting it's hard to predict the outcome. There are some previous threads on this site that go into more detail about the powdercoating process, including some in the knowledge base. Powder coatings are well suited to things such as wheels, suspension components, underhood components, even complete frames if you have a large enough oven. Exterior body panels are possible but probably not the best choice for the home hobbist. If you can't bake it to metal temperatures of 350 F to 400 F, then powders are less of a fit.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Thanks, I now a few words I can baffle them with at work. I was on the right track with the electrostatic wrap but missed the Faraday penetration a bit. I figured it had something to do with film coverage but didn't thing it that exact type of coverage.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 05-08-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:29 AM
RC custom from hell.

I usually take my stuff to a local coater. If something is not right they redo it for no charge. I have been tempted to get a kit, but most stuff I want done is bigger than any oven I could afford.,,,,RR
Old 11-29-2005, 08:05 PM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheetz93
hello all, been surfing ebay and i came up on some powder coating setup for any where between $75-140. How well can these work? Eastwood even has one for $100

thanks
get an electric range"don't take your wifes" get a good earth ground. or buy some infrared lamps an build your own oven. I know people who have had sucess with these. I work for a powdercoating co in Franklin PA or I would build my own.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.