Old 11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhn-77
93 octane, K&N Air Filter.....lol....those are cheap....what all has been done to your motor i need more info i dont wanna list stuff you've already done
More octane won't increase power unless you have the compression to warrant it.

Maximas are pretty well-tuned from the factory. Its not like a chevy from 1970 that can use some much needed help from modern parts. The Maxima IS a modern part more or less.

Expect 1-2 hp from the flowmaster and 0 from the cat. The cat on your Maxima isn't a restriction especially at the power levels that engine is designed for. The best thing you can do for that engine is some forced induction, and I include nitrous as one of those options. Compression is already high enough, head flow is fine, and camming it up really isn't an option since it will kill what little low end torque it has. Aftermarket parts are limited to external bolt ons that don't work, like air filters, tornados, and fuel magnets. You could spend $2000 on underdrive pulleys, K&N filters, and a cold air induction and get 5 hp, or you could spend $500 on nitrous and get 100 hp.

If the engine is installed in a Maxima, don't go nuts. First of all its wrong-wheel-drive and you'll be fighting the steering wheel and traction. Second of all, adding lots of hp will snap those axle shafts like a toothpick.

there are aftermarket superchargers and someone here has turbo'd a max so they might be able to offer help.