Cheap Spray Can Primer, that bad? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

At the shop i used to work at we used to use ppg ncp-271, anytime we had something small that needed priming (like a door ding) we would just mix up a tiny bit and ROLL it on.

In fact, we had some spots where we brushed it on to get extra thick coverage, and the day we had a broken air compressor EVERYTHING got rolled ... including a hail job that needed a leopard print primer job.

Worked perfect every time and requires ZERO masking (except for things your roller might bump into)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
$17 spray cans, not 17 cans
sorry .. misread.. Thread is Cheap primer.. assumed thats what he was talking about.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg
I just went to Canadian Tire and got me some 17 dollars spray can primer so I'm pretty sure I won't have any issues. But we will see tomorrow when I put this stuff on the car.

The thing to remember about what is being said here is... Sometimes things will look good when you put it on,,,,BUT and that's a big but.... When you come back over it with other paint's.. It will sometimes cause the primer to let go under the paint..... Then your nice paint job is shot !!!! I have also leaned and life (the hard way) That just because something cost more then the others , Doesn't always make it better.... You came asking a Question, And many here gave you some very good answers... I'm the first to say.. I'm by far a pro Painter.... But I have messed around with some paint and some of my friends are the best in the business... And I have listen to EVERYTHING they had to say good and bad about what can go wrong... You won't always get the answer your wanting to hear... But you will get a answer from this site..... There is some pro painters here,,, And know what they are talking about..... Now if you do go the way you want too... Just remember later IF something goes wrong.... You were told about it... And remember it will work find today and maybe a year or two from now,,,,Or as soon as you paint it, It can come back to bite you... Your choice from here... Good Luck..
Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy
At the shop i used to work at we used to use ppg ncp-271, anytime we had something small that needed priming (like a door ding) we would just mix up a tiny bit and ROLL it on.

In fact, we had some spots where we brushed it on to get extra thick coverage, and the day we had a broken air compressor EVERYTHING got rolled ... including a hail job that needed a leopard print primer job.

Worked perfect every time and requires ZERO masking (except for things your roller might bump into)
That actually sounds like some stuff I might want to try out, thank you for letting me know about it.

And New Interiors, I've already bought it so I'd feel ****ty about just never using it so this paint job will be an experiment for me. Then I just hope it doesn't just flake away a year or so later I guess lol, I have some faith though. I just still don't know about sanded bumpers but I'll see if it works soon.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg
That actually sounds like some stuff I might want to try out, thank you for letting me know about it.

And New Interiors, I've already bought it so I'd feel ****ty about just never using it so this paint job will be an experiment for me. Then I just hope it doesn't just flake away a year or so later I guess lol, I have some faith though. I just still don't know about sanded bumpers but I'll see if it works soon.

Hey Man... it's all good... Good luck I hope it all work's out well for you...
Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Plastic Bumper Paint

You can get rattle can paint from 5-Star Race Bodies. It is an etching primer for plastic. I have used it 100 times on Plasticized nose pieces. The key is you have to make sure you scuff the plastic to keep the primer in place under the paint when the paint starts to dry and shrink. I used PPG single shot color, as it did not like the base clear set up.

I have a great NAPA store that will put my paint in rattle cans so I can touch up wrecked cars at the track. Works great but costs about $7ea for the good cans.

I have also used some PPG 2K primer in a rattle can. I think it was about $12 can but it worked great. I have a couple compressors and paint guns and I am not expert at all. Sometimes it is convenient not to have the prep and clean-up that all that other stuff requires.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 PM
0.....55.../100

If you read the directions on those rattle can primers almost all of them will say the same thing. "Spray over a base coat." Base coat is epoxy. Just go get a quart of epoxy, mix up a little, maybe reduce it then roll or brush it on. In the long run it's cheaper than rattle cans and tons better. Don't forget the wax and grease remover.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.