cheaper to drive 2 vehicles or tow 1? O/T - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cheaper to drive 2 vehicles or tow 1? O/T

Ive got a trip from san antonio,tx to carlsbad,nm 450 miles. Im taking 2 vehicles 2000 tundra v8 and a 2001 dodge 1/2 ton pickup shortbed single cab, v-6. Im leaving the dodge in carlsbad.

is it cheaper to drive both or pull one (dodge) on a trailer? mpg on both trucks are about 17mpg. Im sure the tundra loaded with the dodge and trailer would be alot lower. any input would help.
My little brother is going with me regardless so i have a driver for the other truck.

Advertisement

Last edited by pi71; 12-07-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

is this a trip you are making or are you just taking the van to carlsbad.

reason I ask is have you looked at just sending on a transport? not worry about the trailer or someone else in the other vehicle... just a thought
Old 12-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

do the math,
Option 1: 450 miles at 17 MPG will take approx 26.5 gallons @ $2.50 = $66.25 for each vehicle, total cost $132.50

Option 2: Towing using Toyota at say 10 MPG, 45 Gallons @$2.50 = $112.50, then add in the cost of renting a trailer or a tow bar you will undoubtedly go over the $20 difference. Even if it's a pain in the arse, drive them.

There are also some intangibles too, beating on that Toyota should not pose a problem, but, think overheating engine or transmission... could be expensive, extra wear on the brakes, tire blowout, a minor mishap, anything out of the ordinary could really cost you money. Don't forget your time, driving with a vehicle in tow will take you longer counting lower speed, stopping to check rigging, 2 fuel stops instead of 1, a couple hours wouldn't be out of the question.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

thanks thats the kind of thinking i was lookin for. i will bringing a 31 3 window chevy coupe back on either a tow bar or dolly/trailer behind the tundra. will i have any problems pulling a 31 chevy with a towbar 450 miles? (no driveshaft in coupe) or should i just opt for a dolly or full on trailer? thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I'll throw my $.02 in.
What is the history on the 31? If you just bought it, not knowing the true condition of its assemblys (axles, bearings, spring mounts, etc) I would not risk pulling it with a tow bar, I would trailer it.
See what the one way rental on a trailer is vs. renting one from home and towing one there and towing one back.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

By far the safest thing to do would be to get a uhaul trailer and tow the dodge. Then you have a means of getting the 31 home with minimum hassle. Renting a trailer for a couple of days and returning it to the same place costs a few $$ less.

The uhauls have good ramps, and secure the front right nice. Get a tow chain or strap to hold the rear axle tight when you pull the front in tight.

The trailer will follow you better than any dolly or tow bar arrangement. The benefit is you have one
CO-PILOT/OBSERVER to watch behind and take turns drivng.

In the long run you will be less tired and a lot more safer.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

To get your 31 back get a trailer. It is the safest way to go. That way you won't be putting any miles on your new car before you have a chance to check out the whole suspension and drivetrain. Just make sure the 31 is tied down very well and check those ties after a couple of miles and every once in awhile after that to make sure they are tight. Take lots of pics and post them here so we can see your new toy up close and personal.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

The u-haul trailer are not that heavy
And are also equipped with brakes.

Something to keep in mind when returning to Bexar county.

Drive em both up----easier on the cars that way
I only get about 7mpg while towing with my 79 454 Chev.

Bryan
Old 12-08-2006, 12:44 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

It is easy to ignore the total cost of operating a vehicle. The cost per mile of an empty pickup is one figure, but start loading it down and it grows rapidly. Increased fuel cost is really the tip of the ice berg compared to increased wear rates on brakes, tires, suspension components, and as mentioned transmission/drive train and higher operating temps. I would have Little Bro drive the Dodge (who wants to give up the nice ride of the Tundra). I would do a one way rental on a trailer or tow dolly. The tow dolly will be cheaper and less drain on the Tundra (less weight to pull and very little tongue weight. Make sure one is available for one way and they will rent you one. Many Rental companies don't like to rent you a dolly unless you rent their truck and also do not stock one ways unless they are in a high transient area such as a large town or near a military installation. Read the fine print on local rentals. Some contracts restrict you to distances you can take the rental item.

Trees
Old 12-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Ford Man to the bone!!!

Last photo:

Think of towing vs driving both, this way.

Drive both: Total MPG = 1 gallon to go 17 miles in each car or 2 gal per 17 miles. Which works out to about 8.5 mpg.

Drive one/Tow one: The front car will use a little more fuel but the rear one uses NONE. After all the back car will be drafting and will cause little or no drag. Getting up to speed and climbing hills is where you will see the most mpg loss. Worst case, 12-15 mpg. (I drive a truck over the road and haul different weight loads all the time and speak from experience here. Empty I get 7 to 7.5 mpg, loaded 5.5 to 6.5 mpg)

A big plus is you guys can visit and keep each other awake if you are in the same vehicle.

[ Commenting on the last post: The added wear on the Tundra on a single trip is nominal. Plus if trailered the Dodge has NO wear, so it is a trade off.]
Old 12-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Ford Man to the bone!!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
Drive em both up----easier on the cars that way
I only get about 7mpg while towing with my 79 454 Chev.
What kind of mpg do you get under normal conditions? He said he gets 17 mpg. My Brother-in-laws '72 454 got 8 mpg around town and 12 mpg highway.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

got her home

well i drove both up took about 7.5 hrs from san antonio to carlsbad. (mapquest is always wrong on hrs) ended up waiting for the guyfor 3 hrs, i hooked up the car to the tow bar and had tons of problems (wrong ball hitch,couldnt get the other ball off, had to buy another reciever, didnt have tools(what!) got harassed by wal mart security, then after i get on the road the car wont go over 40mph without passenger tire jumping...(shocks not on front end) installed the shocks in ft stockton and 65mph all the way home. thanks for all the input ill get pics soon( thanks for the help from the two hotrodders in fort stockton)
Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Glad ya made it home safe.
Never will I ever use a tow bar again.
Tow dolly is okay for the short trips
Anything over 100mi-----gets loaded onto a trailer

Bryan
Old 12-11-2006, 09:35 PM
User

Last photo:

Kind of off-topic, but this is a interesting....kind of

I had bought a 40' Ford Pickup about a year-and-a-half ago, spent most of the day cleaning the garage out where it was at, so we could pull it outside. By the time we get it out, its pretty late in the evening, we call our regular Roll-Back guy, and his truck is tore-down, and their working on it. We call a wrecker, 3 miles away, he says its too late. The truck had to be moved that evening, no matter what, so we called a Used Car Dealership, and they were just then closing.

So, we used the trailer tounge welded to the bumper of the truck that it came with.

Interesting ride, the tires were in alright conditon, but the ride was pretty rough. It definetly cleaned the rust out of the truck. We had to stop a few times to let traffic by, but the looks on their faces...

But, like every other vehicle i got out of that deal, i sold it for nothing...i got talked into thinking i had to fix it up "original", which, there is enough Restored cars out there, and the guy i sold it to apparently traded it around and its probably been turned into a rod right now anyway.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

there wasnt any uhauls within 100 miles that had a dolly or trailer in carlsbad..hindsight i would have pulled a trailer up there..o well its home...... now the fun..

Last edited by pi71; 12-12-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.