Cheaper way to build an engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 10:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cheaper way to build an engine

Guys,
I need your opinion - I am looking for a good short block assembly (pistons + crank installed and balanced). Most places sell them for $1300-1500. What about buying a $1200 GM Goodwrench engine, stripping it off its lousy heads and cam, and putting my own aftermarket ones? Would that 4-bolt 2 piece main with stock GM pistons/rings/crank Goodwrench engine handle a 400-440hp?

Should I get a 1-piece main seal or 2-piece be okay?

Thanks for your input!
Denis

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2003, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Evening bump.

Has anyone considered that option?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

I recently read on this site about a place called northern auto parts. I decided to try them out and ordered an engine kit. It was a great deal. They have a small block kit with hypereutectic pistons, roller timing set and everything else you need including a crane cam and crank for $498.00
Most machine shops will balance for under $150.00 They could even assemble the engine for you. If you have the time to assemble it your self its well worth the trouble.

good luck

John
Old 11-13-2003, 06:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would suggest ebay. I got a 388 stroker, scat crank, hyperu pistons, I-beam rods, four bolt block, fully ballanced with ballancer for $690, no joke! Fully assembled too! Best deal ever, check ebay.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

good call on the ebay idea! i too have got great deals on that site. you'd be surprised.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by killerformula
I would suggest ebay.
Thanks for suggestions! The only thing that scares me about Ebay purchases is if you get a bad part and then have to ship 600 lbs of dead weight back to the seller (only if he agrees to take it).

I will give Northerauto Parts a call.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Yup, that's always a possability, and even when I got my engine, I checked all the codes to make sure I got what he said I got. THere was a repair on the block that wasn't mentioned, but I didn't ***** for 700 bucks, it wasn't in a critical area and it was small. You can check a seller's feedback, it actually gives you a better idea who that person is than you could get just meeting a guy and buying his motor. By that I mean that all history of his sales are documented. If you're tlaking to a guy who deals in motor and motor parts and he's got a positive 500 feedback rating, that means that he's got 500 satisfied customers. I always read through the history to find out what the guy is like and what, if any, complaints he has gotten. Furthermore, if the item is not exactly like it says in the ad, ebay rules say that you don't have to go through with the deal.

Good luck!

K
Old 11-14-2003, 10:45 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

There are always "cheaper' ways to build an engine. You gotta remember you always get what you pay for. Case in point: I'm working on a 347 Ford stroker for a young man. He got the kit thru Nothern auto parts. He got the wrong cam, wrong rings (twice), and a damaged piston. By the time i got him fixed up with the right parts, i could have gotten him a kit withe the right parts the first time for a few bucks more. This isn't an isolated incident, either. I think it's worth one's time to check with a good machine shop to see what they might be able to do for you. We can usually come close in price and our quality can be checked out personally by our customer.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

***** always happens, I agree.

Fortunately for me I just found a Powerhouse shop in town next to my job (www.enginekits.com). I couldn't believe how close I was to that place :-) all these years. They have pretty good reputation and deals on engine kits/parts.

What do you guys think about that Car Craft 440hp project (http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/81998/index.html), but instead of 350 motor, go with the 383 kit? Do I need a new cam instead of XE274H? I still like the 1200-6000 RPM range for the street use. Would the modified set of LM31 Vortec heads work well with 383 setup (they can take a lift up to 0.525")?

What kind of power increase will this give me? I need some vacuum to run my brakes. cr 10:1.

Thanks!
Denis

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.