Hot Rod Forum banner

Cheapest 75' Monte Carlo headers?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Montebrian 
#1 ·
I saved another Monte Carlo from the Junkyard...Its a 75' Model with swivel bucket seats and its in very good condition besides the floorpans which are no match for me and my plasma & welder. It was minus engine & trans for $500 and the car is straight as a pin.

I have a engine & trans brand new 355 and a nice TH350. The manifolds I had laying around leftover from my 95' Z28 Camaro was what I was expecting to use...Suprise suprise..They dont bolt up. So I need to come up with a set of headers.
I have spent right at my limit for this car project and dont really have much if any money to spare on headers.

Who has the cheapest regular old SBC headers? I might even try to buy used...But I need something and I didn't expect to have to buy anything more.

I already bought:

New motor & trans
New Radiator
" Starter
" hoses
" Distributor
" Belts
" Water pump
" fuel lines
" Fan
" Shroud
" Battery cables & Battery
" Paint & sandpaper

What I used that was laying around:

Nice 14" Cragar Peanut Slot wheels with RWL Tires
Intake & Carb
Trim & sheetmetal for rust repair
Exhaust I had laying around
Stereo
Nuts bolts Hardware and etc.

This should be a fun ride. I have alot less in the new motor & trans than people would expect. I traded mostly for it (Old Pontiac parts) But this is the second 73-75 Monte I own now. Along with my 69' Bird and 70' Truck.

I have a cousin of a friend who wants this car bad. And I could use the money but I gotta get it done...Headers are the biggest thing I need still.

See less See more
#4 ·
That sounds pretty good, But is there a place like Summit or Jegs not in Ohio? I dont mind paying a little shipping but living here in Ohio I get hit with both Sales Tax and shipping and that sucks.

I pay enough taxes as it is. I guess the next time I drive up near Columbus I could pick them up in person and only pay the tax...But that might be a few weeks (make work pay for the fuel)

#6 ·
I ended up finding a set of Flowtech headers at "Autozone" of all places. They were brand new in a beat up looking box full of cobwebs and spiders. For $114 I got them....With no shipping or large amount of fuel spent or anything.

When I called the guys ran the info through the computer and were shocked...They didnt even know they had them. I guess they were high on a shelf or something.

I checked and by the time I factored in fuel, shipping, taxes and all other factors I couldn't have really done any better on price. (My local Autozone is only about 1.5 miles away)

Now most of the time I love bashing Autozone because well, Generally they suck. Just yesterday a friend bought a "Duralast" headlight switch that was garbage right out of the box.
So I will just consider this find lucky. I know its probrably the last set of headers this store will ever have. That was the managers attitude, He basically said they were not getting restocked.

#8 ·
Both of my Monte's can be seen on www.hubgarage.com under the Heading "Turbo Monte Garage" Its a pretty awesome car & garage website.

The black Monte is the Turbo Car the Green Monte is the $500 JY find. The green car is now running and purrs like a kitten. I am going to fix the body and floors and paint the car a Sublime Green since it has a Light Green interior I figured it would look sweet with all the chrome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.