Cheapest EFI conversion possible - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC
I think the cheapest EFI conversion possible would be to locate a running wrecked car with the EFI engine you want in an auction, and move parts, or do a complete engine transplant.
Yes, in fact I've done this several times but you are limited to a stock engine, once you start modifying, adding performance parts you no longer can use the stock ECM... or can you ? I'm gonna start a thread about this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Depends on the ECM. Between Moates for OBD1 and HPTuners for OBD2, most stock Chevy ECMs are covered for about as much as you'd want to do.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:55 PM
GearHead-EFI.com

TunerPro RT Software is incredible and cheap. It'll cover just about any GM system and just about any GM system has been converted to other engines. Junkyards are full of cheap GM EFI systems, you can even strip the EFI harness out of the car and rewire it to whatever your building.

Whatever Megasqirt can do you can do with a GM system and junkyard parts. Megasquirt is way cool! But I can buy several JY ECMs, TP software, Moates parts and still have a hundred bucks left over. Then if the wife broke down 1000 miles from home any mechanic could fix the car with parts from any auto parts store, yeah I know MegaSqirt uses most OEM parts but what happens if your MS malfunctions?

GM systems have been hacked and supported and converted for years before MegaSquirt came along. They are the cheapest and easiest to convert and use!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:37 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMark
TunerPro RT Software is incredible and cheap. It'll cover just about any GM system and just about any GM system has been converted to other engines. Junkyards are full of cheap GM EFI systems, you can even strip the EFI harness out of the car and rewire it to whatever your building.

Whatever Megasqirt can do you can do with a GM system and junkyard parts. Megasquirt is way cool! But I can buy several JY ECMs, TP software, Moates parts and still have a hundred bucks left over. Then if the wife broke down 1000 miles from home any mechanic could fix the car with parts from any auto parts store, yeah I know MegaSqirt uses most OEM parts but what happens if your MS malfunctions?

GM systems have been hacked and supported and converted for years before MegaSquirt came along. They are the cheapest and easiest to convert and use!
Im interested in this TunerPro stuff, how hard is it to adapt a GM computer for use on a Turbo 2.3L Ford? Which computers are best and what all do I need?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Im interested in this TunerPro stuff, how hard is it to adapt a GM computer for use on a Turbo 2.3L Ford? Which computers are best and what all do I need?
Yes, do share.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:

Also,I have a little project I am working on, a chevy 302, with a moderate mechanical cam, 10.5:1 compression, and Vortec heads, based on a Gen1 block with an LT1 intake and I'd like to go DIS for ignition. I know megasquirt can handle this with no problem, can tunerpro use a factory computer to do this?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

I would say megasquirt. I just bought mine for roughly $400. Haven't used it yet but am putting it on my LS engine.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I looked at the Tuner Pro website and while it might be a fine system, there just wasn't enough information for me to consider vs. the Megasquirt. As an old timey ME, I'm not that computer/electronics literate, so need to be lead around somewhat and there just wasn't a decent path to follow.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 PM
GearHead-EFI.com

Quote:
I've never done that swap, but if the Ford ECM is not tunable the GM system is and the 1227749 ECM Mask $58 was used mainly in turbocharged applications, but also in some Quad4 vehicles as well.

The most common applications are the turbo Sunbird GT and the Syclone/Typhoon

Applications:
1987-1990 2.0L OHC PFI Turbo
1987-1988 2.3 DOHC PFI
1991-1993 4.3L V6 PFI Turbo

You can try TunerPro RT for free and get the files for this and click around. All the files for TunerPro, wiring diagrams and even bin files are here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...CM-information
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
GearHead-EFI.com

Quote:
Also,I have a little project I am working on, a Chevy 302, with a moderate mechanical cam, 10.5:1 compression, and Vortec heads, based on a Gen1 block with an LT1 intake and I'd like to go DIS for ignition. I know megasquirt can handle this with no problem, can tunerpro use a factory computer to do this?
Yes Cadillac NorthStar was DIS V8 and the files are on TP website.

There is also a conversion to use a simpler ECM that had EFI HEI distributor but you need to have/build a crank sensor and reluctor/trigger wheel.. here's some information on that.
http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=380

There are tons of V6 OBDI ECM that ran DIS like the 1227727 which was also used in a V8 with a different Memcal (fancy chip with knock sensor in it) 1227727 is and underhood weatherproof ECM but guts are identical to 1227730 which is mounted inside under dash. These were also used on Corvettes.

As far as using TunerPro it is as simple as MegaSquirt software but you can also get as complicated as writing your own XDF and ADX files. The XDF is the mask to make changes in the bin/chip. The ADX is an Aquisision file to hook up to your ALDL port and record data while driving, basically a ScanTool that will record.

The other option for tuning these chips is TunerCat, but more expensive and then you have to buy a differant file for each ECM. It will not record data either.

Now in the end you need a chip burner for about $80. but TunerPro has the software in it to burn the chip when your done.

Hope that helps you guys with another option! I have nothing against MegaSquirt, but GM tuning has been around a lot longer. Once you buy software and a burner you can do hundreds of cars versus buying one Megasquirt per car.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

[QUOTE=EagleMark]I've never done that swap, but if the Ford ECM is not tunable the GM system is and the 1227749 ECM Mask $58 was used mainly in turbocharged applications, but also in some Quad4 vehicles as well.

The most common applications are the turbo Sunbird GT and the Syclone/Typhoon

Applications:
1987-1990 2.0L OHC PFI Turbo
1987-1988 2.3 DOHC PFI
1991-1993 4.3L V6 PFI Turbo

You can try ************** for free and get the files for this and click around. All the files for ********, wiring diagrams and even bin files are here:
*********************************************/QUOTE]

Besides the computer what is the bare minimum that I would need to tune it? A bunch of free software and a $150 cord to link the lap top and the ECU?

Last edited by latech; 12-16-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
GearHead-EFI.com

Well the cable is cheaper than that...
http://www.aldlcable.com/

You have a laptop, software is free but has a nag screen at beginning and we all do try to pay for it so it keeps getting developed by a software programmer Hot Rod Gearhead so $40. That is asking price and removes 10 second nag screen at beginning. If you compared it to equivalent OBDII stuff like EFI live or HP tuners etc... for $1000. and then $100 per vehicle license fee, I hope you and anyone else who get's it and tries it supports him so this software keeps improving! Right now it has been about a 10 year project that keeps improving. It even does Holden, BMW, Saab, Volvo and even the Harley Buell motorcycle and keeps getting better.

Then you need a burner, stock chips need a UV light to erase and a burner is about $150. But you can modify your chip socket to put in a newer EEPROM so you just click erase and burn a thousand times if you want. So that is a little more work, way better and cheaper at about $100. You'll find the Burn 2 and all needed sockets and chips here:
http://www.moates.net/

Man I find so much cool stuff here, I've been a gearhead/hotrodder my whole life and have done so much in the past I find on this site today. Been on specific forums for years but never found this one! And it is way cool!

It's hard to believe you guys haven't got into this GM ECM stuff yet?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMark

Then you need a burner, stock chips need a UV light to erase and a burner is about $150. But you can modify your chip socket to put in a newer EEPROM so you just click erase and burn a thousand times if you want. So that is a little more work, way better and cheaper at about $100. You'll find the Burn 2 and all needed sockets and chips here:
That's the way I went. Didn't want to mess with the UV light so I went with the Eprom. I think they also have something you can piggyback on where you don't even have to remove the chips (or it replaces it and takes up its socket). They used to call it the Ostrich or something like that?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 PM
GearHead-EFI.com

The Ostrich is an Emulator. You hook it up to your laptop and have your bin file open in TunerPro, load to Ostrich and it runs the car, make a change and save and it's Real Time. When done though you still need to burn a final chip or leave the ostrich hooked up forever?

I went with the AutoProm years ago and never looked back. It will Emulate like the Ostrich, Record data from engine like a cable so I can tune real Time, then burn the chip like the Burn 2 when done.

Go one step further and get a wideband O2 sensor and controller and you can wire that into your AutoProm and the AFR data comes in same data log as engine data in TunerPro.

TunerPro is easy to learn but then it is toatally custimizable as well, the more you use it the more features you find and learn to use.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Seems like a lot of complexity and cost when ms1 will do the same thing? I'm just trying to figure out what the best approach for my project is.

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.