Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Modern Electronic Engines (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/modern-electronic-engines/)
-   -   Cheapest EFI conversion possible (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cheapest-efi-conversion-possible-210197.html)

Augusto 12-12-2011 11:08 AM

Cheapest EFI conversion possible

I'm looking for the cheapest EFI possible, just fuel, not timing, probably a TBI because I have several on the shelf.

I have seen units from SEFI and Meagasquirt, but I wonder if there's something real simple to do, TBI with only a TPS and a CTS, just like the Holley Pro-jection but home made.

I'm talking about building the ECM, not buying a kit, the parts to build 'em are quiete cheap nowadays, for example a 1 bar Bosch pump runs for only $30.

Any ideas please?

TurboS10 12-12-2011 11:45 AM

Megasquirt is probably the best/simplest diy project and there are alot of them running with chevy TBI's. You can rob a signal from a standard HEI distributor so fuel only works out nice. I will caution that this stuff is still alot of work no matter how easy it looks. Make sure you read the manual and hang out on their board long enough to get a feel for all the possible issues.

Augusto 12-12-2011 12:25 PM

how much do you think the megasquirt will cost?

do they come dissasembled? I mean a bag full of resistors and stuff and an empty circuit board?

sounds like lots of fun.

ap72 12-12-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augusto

do they come dissasembled? I mean a bag full of resistors and stuff and an empty circuit board?

sounds like lots of fun.

Yes they come in dissassembled kits, if you go megasquirt get the MS1 board V3.0 OR BETTER. The ms1 v2.2 is cheaper but a lot more of a headache.

Fun... Only if you like the smell of flux and solder- it'll take you 6+ hours to assemble it.

I LOVE the one I am running.

BTW you can operate it with only a few sensors BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. Like any other computer project garbage in=garbage out and more sendors give you a MUCH better product, GM wouldnt spend money on them if they didnt serve a purpose.

At a minimum I would RECOMEND running a TPS sensor, MAP or MAF sensor, clt, ATS, oxygen sensor (a narrow band is fine for most street applications), and an ignition signal. You can run it with only about half of those sensors but in that case a well tuned carb would be better.

TurboS10 12-12-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

sounds like lots of fun.

I have not "hung out" over there in years. However, at the time they had options for assembled(by members I think) boards and a bag of parts and circuit board. I know there was talk of going to surface mount so I would assume that they would do all of the surface mount stuff and have the option to finish the through hold stuff like injector drivers, but I am speculating. Surface mount is tricky and tedious, but can be done if you have alot of patience. Just go to the main site and start from there:

http://www.megasquirt.info/

matt167 12-12-2011 02:13 PM

Megasquirts are available assembled and dissasembled. there available thru a couple companies..
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/index.php

Augusto 12-12-2011 07:02 PM

so the megasquirt stuff is of good quality? not chineese like junk? I think I'll give 'em a try, sounds very nice.

Irelands child 12-12-2011 07:50 PM

Agusto - Take a look at the just released MSD Atomic EFI (http://www.msdignition.com/default.a...184&blogid=429) About 2000USD, but a complete system.

Other then that, the Megasquirt is about the least expensive way to go. Their website has many, many pages for each variation along with a complete set of instructions.

I'll probably go one way or the other in the next year or so

Augusto 12-12-2011 08:50 PM

I think I have already read like a thousand pages about the megasquirt and I think I'm in love with it, definitely will try it, thanks a lot guys.

Augusto 12-12-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child
Agusto - Take a look at the just released MSD Atomic EFI (http://www.msdignition.com/default.a...184&blogid=429) About 2000USD, but a complete system.

Other then that, the Megasquirt is about the least expensive way to go. Their website has many, many pages for each variation along with a complete set of instructions.

I'll probably go one way or the other in the next year or so

they have a site for it alone http://www.atomicefi.com/ very very nice, I've seen something like that in the summit catalog from another company, very appealing for a classic rod with the look of a carb, very nice and I'm sure the quality is top, but 2.000 is way too much for my wallet.

Siggy_Freud 12-12-2011 10:41 PM

The Edelbrock unit is by far not the second cheapest route. There are a number of stock to semi-stock EFI setups you could put in for 2k or under.

TurboS10 12-13-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

so the megasquirt stuff is of good quality? not chineese like junk? I think I'll give 'em a try, sounds very nice.

I dont believe it is a full time job for anyone, but alot of people do commit alot of time to the "project". I suspect the group, or designers, contract with a manufacturing company to produce these units. The units are most likely untested unless you buy a completed board in which case it is tested on a test bench.

You simply need to be aware that you are not dealing with a manufacturing company directly, but rather a large network of hobbiest. So, you dont just pick up the phone and call your friendly tech support line and they walk you through why the crank trigger input is not "seeing" the hall sensor...for instance. Moreover, you are going to be working via message board or with a part time dealer to help in their spare time. This point is what made me very, very frustrated with diy efi, but I made it through.

ap72 12-13-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboS10
I dont believe it is a full time job for anyone, but alot of people do commit alot of time to the "project". I suspect the group, or designers, contract with a manufacturing company to produce these units. The units are most likely untested unless you buy a completed board in which case it is tested on a test bench.

You simply need to be aware that you are not dealing with a manufacturing company directly, but rather a large network of hobbiest. So, you dont just pick up the phone and call your friendly tech support line and they walk you through why the crank trigger input is not "seeing" the hall sensor...for instance. Moreover, you are going to be working via message board or with a part time dealer to help in their spare time. This point is what made me very, very frustrated with diy efi, but I made it through.

This is one part I LOVED about DIY EFI, often the techlines for bigger companies don't know anything past "hello". There is a HUGE amount of hobbiests that know a lot about this stuff and most of them are all to eager to help out.

As far as where it is made- you can make it on your kitchen table if you like, which is about as "local" as you can get.

TurboS10 12-13-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap72
This is one part I LOVED about DIY EFI, often the techlines for bigger companies don't know anything past "hello". There is a HUGE amount of hobbiests that know a lot about this stuff and most of them are all to eager to help out.

As far as where it is made- you can make it on your kitchen table if you like, which is about as "local" as you can get.

I believe the MS2 comes at least partially assemebled in the kit or "assembled" version, but I could be wrong. I can't imagine sitting and doing all the surface mount work unless you are very experienced and I expect they recognize this as well.

Totally agree that the tech lines can be horrible, but I just want to set up the "situation" you are in once you dive in to diy efi. It can make you feel pretty stranded at times hunting for information.

DanielC 12-13-2011 02:46 PM

I think the cheapest EFI conversion possible would be to locate a running wrecked car with the EFI engine you want in an auction, and move parts, or do a complete engine transplant.