Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   cheapest materials (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cheapest-materials-77300.html)

82c10 12-28-2005 08:41 PM

cheapest materials

i want to take my trucks paint to bare metal, what kind of primer do i need, and where is the cheapest place to get it, also how much $ are we talkin about

baddbob 12-28-2005 09:04 PM

There's many economy lines to choose from but you're best bet for quality products at a reasonable price is from SPI, http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/.
Do a search here for SPI related posts and you'll find some examples of high quality work and many positive comments.

esty 12-28-2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddbob
There's many economy lines to choose from but you're best bet for quality products at a reasonable price is from SPI, http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/index.
Do a search here for SPI related posts and you'll find some examples of high quality work and many positive comments.

You may have difficulty buying SPI products...besides, despite what you'll be told here, on this forum, it's not the cheapest and there's nothing to demonstrate it's worth....it can't be bought on the web and unless there's a local dealer, you won't be able to buy it at all....SPI is a a small company that doesn't distribute to every nook and cranny, as do ther larger, well known companies...

the owner and a vocal member here Barry believes he's the big dog....so all the others tend to follow blindly...sniffing the dogs butte, telling people, like you that SPI's the best...if you know what i mean

anyway a good, inexpensive product that's available online try HERE...they sell several popular brands, and if you'll look around, you'll find a line that sells paints. clears and all the best primers for the money

and while you're on that website take a look at the KIRKER brand...it's absolutely the best bang for the buck..if you want a good product for your money, check it out...they carry everything from the primers you'll need to a fullline of paints and clears.....

if you want more objective information and a broad range of suggestions and ideas try these 2 boards, you'll find more varied options, based on experience at either of them....
autobody.101 or p2p forum

Links to Kirker removed. No advertising allowed.

MARTINSR 12-28-2005 11:35 PM

82c10, just remember, the cheapest isn't always the best value. You have asked a huge open ended question. There are a ton of paint products available.
What you should be asking is what technlogy of primer, not what "brand". That can come later.

But first, I have to ask, why do you want to strip the truck? What paint is on there now?
Has it been painted before?
Is the paint that is on there now solid, meaning not peeling or anything?

Striping a truck like this is a HUGE, MONSTEROUS job. You better be up for a few months of twenty hour weekends to pull it off. We are talking hundreds of hours of work.

There may not be a need for it, lets talk about that first.

Brian

kenseth17 12-28-2005 11:41 PM

He we go again, petty brand fighting started by esty. Hopefully moderators won't let this continue much longer with members slamming one another and turn around and promote the place they like to order from or only what they use. Boy you picked the wrong time to ask this 82, quite a bit of this going around lately. I can understand you wanting to save some money, with paint costs today. The fact is there are many good lines of reasonably priced (epoxy for clean bare metal) primers, urethane 2k for bodywork areas and fill. I've had good luck with omni, and I like marhydes urethane high build primer, sands easy and has a lot of fill for blocking bodywork areas, There are many comparable lower priced brands that will probably work just as well. Heres a suggestion, go to your local paint supply and see what they carry. Its always good to have your supplier near by if any problems did arise. If you spend a fairly decent amount of money they should be willing to help you out if you run into any problems, hopefully you have one with knowledgeable counter people. Same with paint, some of the lower priced lines aren't too bad, although they normally take more coats for the color to cover, clear isn't a concern as far as coverage goes, and there are less expensive lines that aren't bad either. So the answer is whatever your local supplier carries, the larger companys like ppg, dupont, ect have economy lines, and there are others that make only primers and other products and many of these are good also and priced less then the top line stuff.

adtkart 12-29-2005 03:45 AM

If you have decided for sure that you want to strip the truck to bare metal, make sure that you get a quality paint, not just shop for the cheapest. It is alot of work to go thru, to just go the cheapest route and chance having a mess on your hands.

I recintly painted a vehicle for a friend, using a product that was not my choosing, but the price was right. Having painted alot more than 2 cars, I wasn't concerned about having problems with the product line. I now have to repaint because of problems with the primer shrinking, and showing the sanding scratches.

When choosing paint products, make sure that there is product support available if a problem comes up. Many times the person at the paint store only knows how to sell the stuff, not how it works, so I don't put alot of weight in their advise. There is no one, anywhere, that can tell you that any certain brand is absolutely the best! No one has done testing on every brand out there. Not being able to order paint directly off the internet doesn't mean that it isn't available. That is what telephones are for. UPS does deliver to every nook and cranny in the country. Face it, the stuff that you order off the net, has to be delivered too!

You can take your pick from one of the lower grades of the big name brands and save some money, as compared to their higher lines. There is tech advise available from different sources. SPI products also has tech advise available if it is needed. It is just a phone call away! If you check the other posts on this product, you will see many good comments from people that have used it. Most, if not all, of the negative comments come from people that have never used the product, and have a personal issue. They also have very limited experience.

Do some more research, and determine what line you want to use, but use epoxy primer first on the bare metal. Keep in mind that the brands of materials do not have to be all the same, as long as you use the same brand in the product lines, such as the activator for the primer shoulld be for that brand primer, reducer for the paint being for that certain paint, etc.

Aaron

esty 12-29-2005 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenseth17
petty brand fighting started by esty. promote the place they like to order from or only what they use.

you must have missed adtkarts promotion of SPI...the one that started the responses...not the one "started by esty"

for the record...HOK, Custom Finishes, Kirker, American Finishes & Marhyde... are sold at the links i posted, not just one brand...one place with several product lines to chose from

in the real world, when one political party publicly address the nation, the other is always allowed to make a response...it's called getting both sides out to the public

and if anyone other than me might have noticed, i saw no problems or slamming here until you slam'd esty with your post....we're so close to our own self, we just can't see what we're doing most of the time, huh kenseth...http://pdhomes.net/music/isleofjerse...s/eyebrows.gif

Link to Kirker removed. No advertising allowed.

baddbob 12-29-2005 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82c10
i want to take my trucks paint to bare metal, what kind of primer do i need, and where is the cheapest place to get it, also how much $ are we talkin about

82c10, In my opinion for your best bare metal primer use epoxy, SPI ranks up at the top of my list qualitywise and is very economical. I haven't tried Kirker, American, Marhyde, or HOK's epoxy primers so I can't comfortibly recomend these primers. I know SPI's epoxy won't let you down so that's why I recomended it. PPG, Dupont, Akzo Nobel, Transtar, Valspar, and many others also offer epoxy primers so you have many to choose from.

Esty, have you done any testing comparing SPI epoxy to those offered by anyone else? Kirker? American? You might want to wipe the Kirker poop off your nose and give SPI stuff a try for yourself before you slam the product line and accuse it's promotion is being based only on this Forum's membership.

Quote Esty: (the owner and a vocal member here Barry believes he's the big dog....so all the others tend to follow blindly...sniffing the dogs butte, telling people, like you that SPI's the best...if you know what i mean) LOL, Bob

milo 12-29-2005 08:44 AM

You can't come this far and then go "ch^^# ",

It's the one time in life to get the best product for the project and be afraid of money another day.

http://www.a2zautoforums.com/attachm...achmentid=3960

crashtech 12-29-2005 08:58 AM

Hey, he said "cheapest place", not "cheapest primer"!

What kind of primer is not a settled question here, as you can see. I think the general consensus is that an epoxy primer followed by a 2K urethane primer-surfacer is the best procedure, but everyone has their favorite brand.

mrcleanr6 12-29-2005 09:03 AM

Quote Esty: (the owner and a vocal member here Barry believes he's the big dog....so all the others tend to follow blindly...sniffing the dogs butte, telling people, like you that SPI's the best...if you know what i mean) LOL, Bob[/QUOTE]

first of all esty, in the 2 years or so i've been on this forum i have never one heard barry promote his products. the products speak for themselves, both kirker and spi. i have used both, i tried kirker first and was extremely disappointed witht the quality. with the type of work i do and the customer's expectations i could never do it with kirker. i have also used alot of the premium brands, dupont, rm, glasurit and i have found spi stuff to be just as good if not better in most cases. i have strictly used and trusted their products for about 3 years now. no one on this forum is blindly following anyone. like i said a products quality speaks for itself and word get around.

Centerline 12-29-2005 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esty
You may have difficulty buying SPI products...besides, despite what you'll be told here, on this forum, it's not the cheapest and there's nothing to demonstrate it's worth....it can't be bought on the web and unless there's a local dealer, you won't be able to buy it at all....SPI is a a small company that doesn't distribute to every nook and cranny, as do ther larger, well known companies...

the owner and a vocal member here Barry believes he's the big dog....so all the others tend to follow blindly...sniffing the dogs butte, telling people, like you that SPI's the best...if you know what i mean

anyway a good, inexpensive product that's available online try HERE...they sell several popular brands, and if you'll look around, you'll find a line that sells paints. clears and all the best primers for the money

and while you're on that website take a look at the KIRKER brand...it's absolutely the best bang for the buck..if you want a good product for your money, check it out...they carry everything from the primers you'll need to a fullline of paints and clears.....

if you want more objective information and a broad range of suggestions and ideas try these 2 boards, you'll find more varied options, based on experience at either of them....
autobody.101 or p2p forum

Links to Kirker removed. No advertising allowed.

I removed all your links to Kirker. Since you are connected with them it is considered advertising. You will note that BarryK is very careful to follow the forum rules and doesn't post links to his products. Other people who are satisfied with his products do and that's OK since they are not connected with SPI.

FYI: Telling someone how bad the competitor is is not the way to sell products. The way to sell is to tell them how much better your product is. Bad mouthing the other guy doesn't sell diddley.

BarryK is a respected member of this forum and his advise is valued by many people. If you disagree that's fine just do it without attaking him, or anyone else for that matter, personally.

esty 12-29-2005 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddbob
Esty, have you done any testing comparing SPI epoxy to those offered by anyone else? Kirker? American? You might want to wipe the Kirker poop off your nose and give SPI stuff a try for yourself before you slam the product line and accuse it's promotion is being based only on this Forum's membership.

no, like you, i haven't used them all and unfortunately i can't buy SPI, if i was so inclined to try it...it's not available online...have you used kirker's clear, epoxy or 2k filler?

and another thing....

could you please point out where i've ever slam'd "SPI stuff".....i could be accused of slamming barry.....but you're inserting your own gray matter into what i've actually said...read my 1st response again...i don't see any slam against the product...just my opinion of it's availability and the arrogant & sarcastic attitude of the owner...

and if i've got poop on my nose, it ain't kirker, it would be the dupont i used yesterday

esty 12-29-2005 09:34 AM

Post deleted

Beenaway2long 12-29-2005 09:54 AM

TROLL ALERT

T minus 3 and counting.....