Cheapest Possible MIG Setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cheapest Possible MIG Setup

I am looking for the best deal on a mig welder anyone knows of. I am searching on my own i am going to check ebay, HF, and Northern. If anyone knows a better place to look or a hidden place within the three mentioned i can look please let me know i also need the bottle (cheaper the better even if it is small)

here is option numero Uno

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=55075

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

Hey 70 Chevy,
I can't believe no one replied to you as I know there are quit a few with welding experience out there.
This is not my expertise but I do know that 15% duty cycle will drive you to drinking!
Also look how high amps are to get that 15%!!(sign of a crap unit)
This looks like one of those silver beauty,Becca made welders.
You won't be happy.
In short you will be welding about 5 seconds and than setting a minute for the welder to catch-up.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Check out the Lincoln wireless welders. They are pretty good quality for their price. I got mine for $300 canadian dollars on sale. It's the Handy Core 100 and it uses flux cored wire. What applications do you wanna use it for?
This is the one I got http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary

Mike
Old 04-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'm just teaching myself how to weld again and I just got a Hobart 135 Handler w/hood, gloves and hammer from Northern for $449.00. Its both flux and gas. I've seen other posts and got allot of good feed back about it. So far I'm happy with it. As for the bottles, I don't know how far Greenville is from me but I'm just going to rent a bottle for $38.00 a year and $28.00 for the gas refills. If you buy your bottle your going to have to think about having it hydro tested every three years or so and if the valves are ever updated like the propane bottle valves were its on you also. I'd look around and see about renting one first.

David
Old 04-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:

yeah i looked into renting a whole setup all they had out our United Rentals were stick welders (not sure of the correct terminolgy there). I already have one and needless to say it flat out wont work on sheetmetal. That is all I am welding is sheetmetal. Shaving drip rails, Shaving door handles, Shaving Cargo Light, bed patch, door patch, cab patch, Filling my Cowl. I think i may have just found a friend with a setup. My mom is checking my last two chances out today before i break down and buy a welder to use for all of this.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:14 AM

check out weldingdepot.com, they have an excellent selection of welders. I ended up buying a Clarke 130amp mig/flux core welder came with helmet (auto-darkening, argon/co2 bottle (small), cart, gas regulator and a spool of flux core wire). works great, It is not a commercial unit, fairly low duty cycle, but then, I don't use it to make a living either. sheet metal work is easy and not a problem.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

A year or so ago I found that www.brwelder.com was the cheepest anywhere. I bought a Hobart Handler 175 with cart for around $500 and change. They shipped it to my door in two days for free and they had no stupid handling charges like most companies do. Plus no sales tax because they were out of state.

BTW, you definitely want at least 135 amps in the welder you choose. I would consider the Lincoln, Hobart, or Miller 135 series welders. Plus go with MIG and not flux cored, you will be happy you did.

kev
Old 04-21-2004, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Be careful what sites charge for shipping. Price looks somewhat good and then you go to check out and wow shipping is that much. Also on some things you just have to look at it before you buy it or a least one from the company that makes it. You may order a cheaper welder from a site and you get it in and it looks like it came out of a cracker jack box. I got a lincoln pro mig 135 gas or flux from lowes for 437.00. It is a 115 volt and works awesome. The welding helmet that comes with it is ratty but you can get a decent hood for 20 bucks or so from a tractor supply.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.