check engine light on in my 2001 dodge neon - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

check engine light on in my 2001 dodge neon

Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge Neon, and last Monday the engine light came on while I was driving home. No other lights came on, nothing seemed to be wrong. It was driving normal. I took it to Auto Zone and they checked it and it said that "the voltage signal from the power steering pressure sensor is out of range for the current engine operating conditions." The man said they did not have the part that I'd have to go to the dealership, but that it could also just be low on fluid. All has been checked and all is good. My steering doesn't feel any different. It is not hard or anything. Would that be normal? I'm afraid to take it to a dealer or anyone and have them charge me a fortune for nothing, but then I have 3 children and don't want to end up broke down on the side of the road somewhere. If anyone has any other ideas of what it could be I would love to hear them. The power steering just doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2006, 02:04 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

if you have power steering fluid in the resivoir then that means the pressure sensor is bad.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:08 PM

OK, but would my steering still feel normal?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

along the same lines if the resevoir is at the correct level, there are no leaks, and the steering feels ok without any binding then it may be just a bad sensor. Did Autozone clear the code for you? If not see if they will then see if it comes on again at a later date. It's possible that the belt slipped due to moisture and the pressure dropped long enough to set the code.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I am not sure about Dodges, but on a Ford if you disconnect the battery for a few minutes it will erase the code light. Of course it will also erase all your radio programming.

Afterward, you can see if the light comes back on. IF it does, and if it is the fluid level sensor, that sensor is easily bypassed.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:23 PM
NTI Grad.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousone1009
OK, but would my steering still feel normal?
yeah, your steering would feel normal because you still have pressure in the system. But with a bad sensor it is telling the computer that your system pressure is too low therefore throwing the code.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:30 PM

No. Auto Zone did not clear the code. They told me once I got it checked out I could bring it back up there and they would clear it for me. I just haven't gone back up there. I actually haven't drove it much. He told me not to worry that it was not something that would leave me broke down on the side of the road, but when lights come on, it scares me. If this is what is wrong, could it leave me broke down on the side of the road?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousone1009
No. Auto Zone did not clear the code. They told me once I got it checked out I could bring it back up there and they would clear it for me. I just haven't gone back up there. I actually haven't drove it much. He told me not to worry that it was not something that would leave me broke down on the side of the road, but when lights come on, it scares me. If this is what is wrong, could it leave me broke down on the side of the road?
NO it might get hard to steer like manual steering, but a total system failure will not stand you on the side of the road.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.