Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Check my valve spring specs for cam break in
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

It is critical that you set the lifter preload and time the engine before you install the engine. You do not want to be cranking on a new engine trying to adjust the valves and timing.

I have only had one camshaft go flat and that was in 1966 and it was because I carelessly got used lifter mixed up. I have never used light valve springs to break in a camshaft but I never used a flat tappet camshaft with more than 125 lb. seat pressure and 325 lb. open pressure. I have never used any special motor oil except Valvoline 10W-30 All Season with Crane Moly paste on the cam and lifters. The engine is primed on the engine stand with a variable speed drill as the crank is slowly rotated by hand.

Make certain the engine will start instantly and you can run it up to 2500 RPM when breaking in a new flat tappet camshaft and lifters. If you try to set the timing, lifter preload or valve lash and monkey with the carburetor adjustments when you are breaking in a new camshaft, you may have the experience of watching your camshaft go flat no matter what trick oil or additives you are using. .

Last edited by MouseFink; 06-20-2013 at 09:48 PM.