Check your Moser Axles..... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'm wondering why Moser uses a lock washer in the first place. If it's solely to help hold the stud, I can't see them helping much or at least the effectiveness is questionable.

But what I also wonder, is if the fillet under the head of the bolt is such that there needs to be either a washer or a countersink in the axle flange sized to accommodate the fillet radius. I believe that even if welded, the ideal situation would be for the underside of the bolt head to be in full contact w/the axle flange.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Its not uncommon for the longer studs to be off a little when Installed. I don't use a "Thick" Lock washer on the stud. If the washer happens to break the stud will no longer be tight in the axle. If I use anything,I use a grade 8 star washer. No need to weld the stud in the axle. Use a little anti seize on the lug nuts and keep them properly torqued. Most axle company's will void any warranty if any heat is put to the axle.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 PM
WFO

Last photo:

If any welding were going to be done, every effort needs to me made to sink the heat from the stud- they're heat treated during their production and you don't want to lose that. The flange I wouldn't worry so much about (but I can understand the warranty being voided) because of the thickness compared to the stud, but still if you go through w/welding, keep the weld as brief as possible to still get adequate penetration, use multiple small welds as opposed to fewer larger welds and cool between welds.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

[QUOTE=96lt4c4]Thats the way they were shipped to me. The studs screw in from the back with lock washers between the stud and the back of the wheel flange. I am going to remove the washers and just run the head of the stud up to the flange, with some loctite.

Thats a good way to do it!!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I'd want to be sure the bolt's underhead fillet (if present- which I believe will be in the application) was not contacting any sharp edge that could be present if the threaded stud hole in the flange isn't chamfered to accommodate it. A few minutes addressing this could save a lot of grief later on, or give the peace of mind to know it's not a problem in the first place.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Just got off the phone with Moser. Looks like I was right the wheel bearing press on surface is machined .015 off center in relation to the splines. They are refunding my shipping, sending me a new axle, and new wheel bearings. They told me that it should have never made it out of the door like that. Quick Performance is telling me that I should go after them for a new ring and pinion. What do you guys think?

They also said that they could have a whole bad batch of axles becasue of me finding this.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

As the inside salesman and resident gear head here; Im conflicted. I'd like to say the R&P is safe, but I don't have the capacity to say that. However, the business should ask to see the product; but again, I don't think they are qualified to pass judgement on it or not. I hate to 'go after' someone for free stuff.

I guess the correct answer is to look at how long the car was used with the bad axle, look at how much abuse you handed the unit in that time, and see how you feel about it.

IF you feel nervous about it, call Moser and calmly lay out the facts (I drove it X miles, the pattern looks like Y, and it sounds like Z at 55mph).
If they say 'run it' MAKE SURE you get something in writing from them that says you are covered. If they won't ask that they replace it
Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Color me stupid or even ignorant ... but what is the advantage in using "screw-in studs" with lockwashers as opposed to the standard wheel stud with a correctly sized serrated shoulder?

I'd think that it would be virtually impossible to install one "crooked", and that they sure as heck aren't going to spin in the hole like the smooth-shouldered / lockwashered variety would!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Just got off the phone with Moser. Looks like I was right the wheel bearing press on surface is machined .015 off center in relation to the splines. They are refunding my shipping, sending me a new axle, and new wheel bearings. They told me that it should have never made it out of the door like that. Quick Performance is telling me that I should go after them for a new ring and pinion. What do you guys think?

They also said that they could have a whole bad batch of axles becasue of me finding this.
I think if you bought the axles through "Quick Performance", they should be taking care of your problem. I'm sure you paid the extra middleman charges. I deal directly with Moser and have never had a problem one with customer service or warranty. Why is "Quick Performance" wanting YOU to go after Moser for a R&P? Does'nt "Quick Performance" carry any type of their own warranty on parts you buy from them?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
I think if you bought the axles through "Quick Performance", they should be taking care of your problem. I'm sure you paid the extra middleman charges. I deal directly with Moser and have never had a problem one with customer service or warranty. Why is "Quick Performance" wanting YOU to go after Moser for a R&P? Does'nt "Quick Performance" carry any type of their own warranty on parts you buy from them?
That is one of the problems going thru a "dealer". Any warranty is going to be done at moser 'If" any product defects are found. Its usually best to buy right from the main source if possible.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The "middle man" is not really responsible for defective items, it's ultimately the manufacturer's responsibilty.

Many of the "middlemen" (like our NAPA store for example) will adress / handle the warranty concern, and then forward the defective items to the mfr for reimbursement. Yes, we lose the profit that we made on the original sale, as we get credited back at our acquisition cost. That's OK as long as we get to supply the replacement, but SUCKS bigtime when a customer buys a replacement elsewhere. (Yep, that is why some business owners get "that look" on their face when it happens.)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
It's called Manufacturers Warranty. With me being a.. Spicer,Eaton,ARB ETC.. Any part defects need to be sent back the the manufacturer for a warranty consideration. If it's a obvious warranty I will take care of the warranty and then take it up with the manufacturer. If the axle turns out to be the problem, I think it would be unfair to throw "Quick Performance" under the bus since it was not their axle.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
That is one of the problems going thru a "dealer". Any warranty is going to be done at moser 'If" any product defects are found. Its usually best to buy right from the main source if possible.

Hmmm ... I can't say that in 100% agreement.
Yes, as previously stated, we are a member of a distribution chain ... and are making a profit. Call it "value added", if you like. You get to come into our store and get what you need, and walk back out. When things "go south" you are often given a replacement part on-the-spot.

Going direct may get you a better price on the initial purchase, but you have to wait for it. You will also pay shipping and handling, perhaps duty and exchange as well if it crosses any borders.

If and when you get a defective item, you get to pay freight (usually in both directions) ... PLUS you run the risk of denial when the mfr examines the "alleged defective" (their term). In this case, they will send the part back to you collect as well. Since you have already bought and installed a replacement ... what are you going to do with the "spare"?

Another possibility is the "repair and return" scenario. The mfr is far less likely to give up the profit that they made by selling to you directly.

Just some things to ponder ...
Old 10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
It's called Manufacturers Warranty. With me being a.. Spicer,Eaton,ARB ETC.. Any part defects need to be sent back the the manufacturer for a warranty consideration. If it's a obvious warranty I will take care of the warranty and then take it up with the manufacturer. If the axle turns out to be the problem, I think it would be unfair to throw "Quick Performance" under the bus since it was not their axle.
I'm not saying to throw Quick Performance under the bus but if I buy a part from a distributor or dealer, even if they did not make the part, they will be the first one I go to for satisfaction/returns. If I buy a part from my local auto parts store and it's defective, they are the ones I pay a visit too, not the manufacturer.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Hmmm ... I can't say that in 100% agreement.
Yes, as previously stated, we are a member of a distribution chain ... and are making a profit. Call it "value added", if you like. You get to come into our store and get what you need, and walk back out. When things "go south" you are often given a replacement part on-the-spot.

Going direct may get you a better price on the initial purchase, but you have to wait for it. You will also pay shipping and handling, perhaps duty and exchange as well if it crosses any borders.

If and when you get a defective item, you get to pay freight (usually in both directions) ... PLUS you run the risk of denial when the mfr examines the "alleged defective" (their term). In this case, they will send the part back to you collect as well. Since you have already bought and installed a replacement ... what are you going to do with the "spare"?

Another possibility is the "repair and return" scenario. The mfr is far less likely to give up the profit that they made by selling to you directly.

Just some things to ponder ...
Most axles or thirdmembers bought are gonna have to be made anyway,, So there's gonna be a wait. Being in the business I have a pretty good idea if it's going to be a valid or a bs claim. Usually all I have to do is take a cell phone pic of the problem so the rep can see it and its usually taken care of and a new one is on the way. With this axle deal.. That is a strange one so I can see why they want to see it.

If I do have something that needs to go back I will send it back on my dime or I will ask the Manufacture to fax me a call tag. I'm lucky enough to have good working relations with the manufactures that if I call them and say... I got a problem it gets taken care of because they know I dont try and pull anything funny.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.