Check your Moser Axles..... - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
I'm not saying to throw Quick Performance under the bus but if I buy a part from a distributor or dealer, even if they did not make the part, they will be the first one I go to for satisfaction/returns. If I buy a part from my local auto parts store and it's defective, they are the ones I pay a visit too, not the manufacturer.
Very true.. As you should! If you have a good Distributor he will get on the phone with the manufacturer and get the problem fixed. But the replacement parts will come from the Manufacturer. If I get a warranty ring and pinion I will call the manufacturer and get it handled.If I have a gear set on the shelf I give it to the customer and the manufacturer sends me a new one.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
As the inside salesman and resident gear head here; Im conflicted. I'd like to say the R&P is safe, but I don't have the capacity to say that. However, the business should ask to see the product; but again, I don't think they are qualified to pass judgement on it or not. I hate to 'go after' someone for free stuff.

I guess the correct answer is to look at how long the car was used with the bad axle, look at how much abuse you handed the unit in that time, and see how you feel about it.

IF you feel nervous about it, call Moser and calmly lay out the facts (I drove it X miles, the pattern looks like Y, and it sounds like Z at 55mph).
If they say 'run it' MAKE SURE you get something in writing from them that says you are covered. If they won't ask that they replace it

This is a stock LS1 street car with 350 hp that has never been on the strip as long as I have owned it. The rear end project as a whole might have 1000 miles on it and has chewed up 3 ring and pinions. Most of the miles are just test runs trying to figure out whats wrong. Most of those miles were from me driving it to work and back a few times. Maybe I shouldnt have said "go after". I am by no means someone that wants anything for free. But, after all the strange things I have been threw with this rear end and the only real problem that I have been able to find is the bad Moser axle, I think they owe me a little something more than the $25.00 it cost me to ship them the bad axle. I have had this thing in and out so many times I have lost count. I have a fortune in gear oil and posi additive.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
I think if you bought the axles through "Quick Performance", they should be taking care of your problem. I'm sure you paid the extra middleman charges. I deal directly with Moser and have never had a problem one with customer service or warranty. Why is "Quick Performance" wanting YOU to go after Moser for a R&P? Does'nt "Quick Performance" carry any type of their own warranty on parts you buy from them?

The Moser axles cost the same wether I bought them from QP or directlly from Moser. They were $500.00 and shipped directlly from Moser. QP did contact Moser for me and was told by them that I needed to contact "so and so" from Moser and that they wanted to talk to me.

QP told me that it was worth a shot to ask Moser for a R&P, and that all they could do is say no. At this point they have both really been good to work with, QP offerd to set up my center section and check my housing for straightness for free, but I had to get it there. I had my housing checked local and I know my center setup is good.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

[QUOTE=96lt4c4]The Moser axles cost the same wether I bought them from QP or directlly from Moser. They were $500.00 and shipped directlly from Moser. QP did contact Moser for me and was told by them that I needed to contact "so and so" from Moser and that they wanted to talk to me.

Which axles did you get for $500 ?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=prostreet6t9]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
The Moser axles cost the same wether I bought them from QP or directlly from Moser. They were $500.00 and shipped directlly from Moser. QP did contact Moser for me and was told by them that I needed to contact "so and so" from Moser and that they wanted to talk to me.

Which axles did you get for $500 ?
I had to buy thier wheel bearings. Which were $65. Looks like I would have only spent $410 plus shipping if I would have bought them straight from Moser.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
This is a stock LS1 street car with 350 hp that has never been on the strip as long as I have owned it. The rear end project as a whole might have 1000 miles on it and has chewed up 3 ring and pinions. Most of the miles are just test runs trying to figure out whats wrong. Most of those miles were from me driving it to work and back a few times. Maybe I shouldnt have said "go after". I am by no means someone that wants anything for free. But, after all the strange things I have been threw with this rear end and the only real problem that I have been able to find is the bad Moser axle, I think they owe me a little something more than the $25.00 it cost me to ship them the bad axle. I have had this thing in and out so many times I have lost count. I have a fortune in gear oil and posi additive.

Is it just me? I'm not understanding how one axle that was machined 0.015" off center is gonna wreck 3 gearsets. I could see it causing vibration, stress on the wheel bearings, and possibly stress on the spider gears, but not the ring and pinion gears...

Russ
Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Is it just me? I'm not understanding how one axle that was machined 0.015" off center is gonna wreck 3 gearsets. I could see it causing vibration, stress on the wheel bearings, and possibly stress on the spider gears, but not the ring and pinion gears...

Russ
No it's not just you... I guess it's possible? I still have a feeling there could be another problem.. What it is I'm not sure.

With all the time the OP has in this project I hope it does fix it.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I wasn't able to tell the exact procedure that you used to check the housing for straightness, after reading the other THREAD in its entirety (it's a long 'un!). So my question is, were there fixtures at both axle tube ends, as well as fixtures secured by the diff caps?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I wasn't able to tell the exact procedure that you used to check the housing for straightness, after reading the other THREAD in its entirety (it's a long 'un!). So my question is, were there fixtures at both axle tube ends, as well as fixtures secured by the diff caps?
Good thought..But if the housing is off even by the smallest amount, the axles will be a real pain to get in and out. The axles work as a perfect straight edge.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
Good thought..But if the housing is off even by the smallest amount, the axles will be a real pain to get in and out. The axles work as a perfect straight edge.
You are correct. I recall that this rear end was set up to use the GM backing plates as the retainer for the axle bearings. Any chance that this set up allows the axle bearings to "float" for lack of a better word, i.e. are the brngs. held in position tightly when the backing plate fasteners are drawn up tight? I believe this is the way it's set up- unless I read it wrong... Was the housing checked in the car, all the attachment points tight, etc.? I'm grasping at straws here.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
You are correct. I recall that this rear end was set up to use the GM backing plates as the retainer for the axle bearings. Any chance that this set up allows the axle bearings to "float" for lack of a better word, i.e. are the brngs. held in position tightly when the backing plate fasteners are drawn up tight? I believe this is the way it's set up- unless I read it wrong... Was the housing checked in the car, all the attachment points tight, etc.? I'm grasping at straws here.
Well.. If there is any play that would not be correct either. The Brg needs to be retained WITHOUT any in and out movement. It does seems like way early in one of the threads the axle's were found to be a tad to long and hitting the cross pin and needed to be corrected. I think I'm getting even more confused than you in this one.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
WFO

Last photo:

My thought on the bearings was that possibly they could shift or "kock" just enough to allow the axle to fit the side gears easily. FWIW, I got tired just reading the other thread. 96lt4c4, you have perseverance, that's for sure! I'll leave you in the capable hands of the experts, I do wish ya' luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

I should be working on it this weekend. I am starting to think that my problem was from the axles hitting inside the posi. Now that they do not and I will be getting a straight axle from Moser I should be on the path to getting this thing together for good. As far as the housing being checked this is how I did it.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ar_end_housing

It was only out like a 1/16" but we went ahead and heated the tubes up and pulled it around with some cold water soaked rags. We did not have to use jacks. Now it is dead straight, I made my own fixture to check it out of a 3/4" bar to run threw the housing and a peice of 3 1/2" bar stock turned down to fit the case and the outer wheel bearing bores. I know my bar is not very big but it is dead straight and got the job done. The Moser wheel bearings sit flush in the housing ends and is retained by the backing plate from the 10 bolt. I dont think the axles are moving in and out once they are in there.

As far as the axles hitting in the posi, Moser pulled my invoice and asked what I was running for a diferential. I told them a billet Trac Lock. Well when Quick Performance ordered my axles they told Moser I was running a spool, which we all know does not have a pin threw it. I orderd the posi threw QP so they knew what I was running. Anyway, Moser told me that the make the axles a little longer if the person is runnig a spool and that is why I had to shorten my axles. So QP may have screwed me on that one. But, I also should have measured.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Got my new axle yesterday, notice anything different?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

No washers?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.