to check your spelling or not - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

to check your spelling or not

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. ! Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlobe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt. Marcel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Yeah..........funny

When my girls were growing up, the schools started to say that spelling was not important and that their ideas were more important. Obviously with our poorly educated youth, their little experiment backfired. Some of the younger guys I supervise at work, are nothing short of illiterate......

Now, with my grandkids, they have started stressing the 3 R's again........

Full circle..........................
Old 07-04-2005, 07:20 PM

I've seen that experiment before and it is a testament to the power of the human brain to be able to decode the symbols (letters) and make words which have meaning. However, I have always found it useful to have an adequate vocabulary and be able to spell properly (or at least check and correct my spelling). When I see a job application with all kinds of misspelling and bad grammar, it just shouts out illiterate and ignorant. Not necessarily the kind of people we want to hire. They may be otherwise intelligent but if they are not concerned about their presentation on a job application (first impressions are important), why should I be interested in hiring them, much less even interviewing them. They will be representing our company and that is not the image we want to portray.
Anyway, it is important that we get back to teaching our children to write and read properly so they don't have to suffer rejections in the job market. Good jobs are getting tougher to find.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

writing

Doc here,

Being raised (no, not by wolves...) 3 generations of Newspaper Editors...I HAD no choice but to get it right..

Not only could my homework be read across the table, UPSIDE DOWN, but RIGHT to LEFT (the way print used to be set in the 50's) and punctuation, and misspelling were firing squad offenses...

How you spell not only shows HOW you feel about the topic you are about to share, but says a lot about your own personal work epic, and (quite actually, )how you feel about yourself Psychologically.

For Instance, According to one of my Psychology Prof's.."One who constantly uses "I" in the first person, but consistently fails to capitalize it...has doubts about himself, or the material being presented..or his onions about the subject". Same thing applies to a Proper name.

Another Pet Peeve, Is you write an article on how to rebuild an SBC.....and by gosh..get that whole puppy in ONE paragraph!!

While that might be a good thing were we building 5 pound storage bags for 10 lbs of nitro~humus...

NO MATTER HOW accurate...

No matter how earth shattering the information may be...

I'm not going to read it! And Probably Nobody else will either..and those who do..will probably take the article in error, because of skipped/missed text not read. (EVEN if it is in there, the mind will "Skim" Just to separate the sensory overload.)

First, When I read, I expend my time ingesting what is wrote. I refuse to have to put "training wheels on my eyes", or use a straight edge just to follow a sentence from the left side of a paper to the right..If I have to expel that much energy into the mechanics of reading...I'll not learn a thing from the material contained within.

In Every Career I have held, From The Airlines Flight training Center, to Field Engineering, to Business owner, I Have to Write DETAILED reports..(Some of which were life and Death dependent that they be read and perfectly understood..) Spelling is just the tip of the iceberg...you MUST keep the reader involved and not bored, or overworked, EVEN if the topic is large...

If I receive an EMAIL that is subject titled : FOUND CURE FOR CANCER, and I open that up, to find 51,295 well chosen words, not capitalized, misspelled, and lumped into one paragraph..

GUESS WHAT?

I'll wait for the movie...that email goes into the recycle bin..I would be dubious of one who presents a research project with such bad grammar...Is the research as Hap~Hazard?

Over time, you can develop a "Sense" of the writer, by reading his / her postings and even understand the subject material more because you have an "Idea" where he is coming from..It makes it a bit easier to read..(try it with your favorite newspaper columnist..)

Another Thing about spelling, WE ALL have certain words we commonly misspell .. I do as well as most of you...not because were dumb..but because we have done so since elementary school..and now (mentally at least) we actually believe that it is spelled correctly (because we never learned better..) If you want to test this theory..use the spell check on your next 100 posts...you'll be surprised what you find!

Doc
Old 07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
According to one of my Psychology Prof's.."One who constantly uses "I" in the first person, but consistently fails to capitalize it...has doubts about himself, or the material being presented..or his onions about the subject".
?m , ok, onions?

Sorry Doc, just yanking your chain!

-ps- how do you spell "thru"?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Proof reading..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXS
?m , ok, onions?

Sorry Doc, just yanking your chain!

Doc here..

Proof reading goes a long way too...

That word was actually first SPELLED correctly, BUT the Spell checker thought It might need to "Spice up " the text a bit...LOL.. changing it from "opinions" to "Onions..."

So yup..Proof read too..spell check ain't so awfully smart either...

Doc
Old 07-05-2005, 01:18 AM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXS
Through
Old 07-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

spelling

Well Doc, I love reading your post. I'm not a professional, guess I spent to much time learning what and how to do it than how to spell it. I'm 62+, retired living in an 80,000 home with two others sold and owner financed with a 75,000 annual income.This re mines me of the time I went to the dentist. His nurse told me I had better teeth than I should have. After she left, I started thinking. When she returned, I told her that her car ran much better than it should. She ask why I said that. Well, I'm a mechanic, not a dental tech. She admitted every body understood they own profession better than they did other. I guess what I'm trying to say is look pass the tree and you might see a forest. My best friend is a retired high school principal. When I need pro help, guess who I call, and when he has mechanical trouble with anything, I'm john on the spot. I think we just respect each other.
GREATER IS HE THAT IS IN ME, THAN HE WHO IS IN THE WORLD
Old 07-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

I blame my poor spelling on growing up in AH-Hi-Ah...
Old 07-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Hey RetroJoe, I resemble that remark! I grew up in Ohio, too. But my mother was an English teacher and if you didn't spell it right or say it properly, you found out about it in short order. Eventually it became easier to say it properly the first time rather than go through the inquisition each time you were wrong, that it became a habit. I retain that habit to this day and I must admit it does kind of strike a sour note when I see the way some people write. But, it ain't fer me to condemn ya fer the way you was "brung up", even if it was in "AH-Hi-Ah".
Old 07-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

Yeah, being taught phonics in Ohio was a kick.... I lost my accent when I moved west, I still have supper tho'....

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.