Chemical stripper...cost and effectiveness. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 09:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chemical stripper...cost and effectiveness.

For my Camaro, i was thinking about using a chemical stripper on it to get the body completly bare, then painting it. Would that be the best way to do it? How much would this cost to do, how long would it take. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Don't know how much it costs, but if you do it, make sure that you really clean it off good when done. Any trace of it will affect how your new primer and paint sticks. Make sure that you get it out of every nook and cranny also.

I think you would be better of getting it bead blasted off. They have blast media now that wont hurt the glass etc.

Budget RVs
Old 02-15-2004, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

I would have to have someone blast it, any idea on that cost of that?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

No idea......we have a blast cabinet at work, for small parts. It uses plastic pellets to blast with. Works good. The largest piece I have done is a fender.

Budget RVs
Old 02-15-2004, 12:43 PM

It depends on the condition of the existing paint...If the paint is not cracked or checked then I would just D/A and spray. when you strip it down you have to redo all the existing filler.

If the paint is bad then you have to strip it to bare metal. Chemical stripping is alot cheaper than having someone come out and blast the whole car.

I chemical stripped mine, it took me a while. I had to go over everthing twice, but the car had two coats of paint on her. after I stripped it with chemical stripper then I used the D/A to get it perfectly clean.

good luck on your project!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

blast that paint off!

I had a 64 Impala done. Sand blasted the shell, windows removed, gutted. everything including the dash was sanded. The fenders were removed but the doors where left on but all the paint around the door frame and under the hood and trunk were sand blasted. A year after the car was sand blasted, acid etched and sealer primed I started working on the body again and every time I opened a door or the hood or the trunk sand fell out. I painted the car and the dash and sand fell out. I installed the wiring and the dash gages and sand fell out and when I put the windows back in sand fell out. The car was vacumed and blown off and driven and sand fell out. I don't recommend sand blasting the whole car, maybe disassembeld parts so you can remove all the sand but not the shell, maybe media blasting would not be so much of a pain??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 02-15-2004, 04:08 PM

rubberman i own a shop in youngstown ohio and i sent out a 55 chevy to have it media blasted . inside&outside of the body,2 fenders,2 doors,hood ,decklid,4 wheels,and 2 splash pans .and i got all this done for $750 excellent work no warpage of any panels ,and a quick turnaround . the place is called strip master they are in rootstown ohio , ask for ben he is very nice and will take good care of you ,im sorry i dont have the number with me its at my shop. good luck jim
Old 02-15-2004, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Fisher, but thats to much money for me, i think ill just DA it. When i did some body work i could get to bare metal REALLY fast, so i think i can do it fast. What kind of shop do you own, what kind of rates do you have? If you want you can pm with them, instead of posting them. Maybe ill drop by sometime.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Hey man last year when I had my pinto I chemical stripped it took allot longer then I thought. I strip it inside and out it took about 3 weeks and prolly close to 300 bucks of chemical stripper. It really helps to use a 3m rust removing disc and a die grinder. I usually put on the stripper then die grind the paint off while the stripper starts to bubble the paint then I get a brush and start scraping the paint away. I wouldn't use chemical stripper thought on too much like around doors where there is factory seam sealer and bondo and all that stuff. A small project can become huge using this stuff beware. It does the job though and its easy.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Rubberman....What would necessitate taking it to bare metal in the first place. Too many coats of paint? If you have the factory paint, just leave it on there and sand it down to scuff it. As long as the basre paint is in good shape and not peeling you will be fine. Or are there other problems.

Kevin
Old 02-16-2004, 07:59 PM

i used chemical stripper before at the shop i used to work at. in my opinion it's a pain in the butt. they have places that will acid dip the entire body or just panels. it usually takes two to three days for their turnaround. i'd take a look at doing that, that way you don't have to worry about the mess, and they clean it for you afterward, although i'd recommend another cleaning when you get the parts back. anyways, that's just my $.02
Old 02-17-2004, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

The paint is to thick ...sorry it took so long to reply.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:09 AM

Try calling International Paint Stripping. They do car bodys all the time. 734. 942.0500

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.