cherry bomb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 01:43 PM
BuRnIn RuBbEr

Last journal entry: 350
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cherry bomb

i want it to be loud very loud i have a 85 ram charger whats better i want it to scream and pop when i mash it what better glasspak with tips mufflers with tips. it has a 318 im getting headers i want it loud

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 02:36 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

re: cherry bomb

Looking at your post I can see that you're 17 years old... Having a loud truck when you're 17 is not a wise idea. The noise gets people's attention, including the police. The police are more strict with young drivers.

As for the sound you want, I don't think cherry bombs will give you the "popping" you want. That's done by putting on a carb that's way too big. Say a 750 cfm. Popping means bad gas mileage. Exotic exhaust tips do absolutely nothing for a car. Nothing. (Including looks, in my opinion. I like the ones that are the same size as the pipe.)
Old 02-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

Well knowing that you have a 318 I can tell you exactly how loud a set of dynomax bullets and hedman headers will be. One word. Ridiculous.
Got them on a 93 dakota with 318. You can downshift while approaching to stops and get the pop and rumble you want. Once you weld on those bullets prepare for everyone to hate you. I idle down the block and still get complaints. So like I said if you want completely ridiculous sound go for it.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I agree, get a nice, tone, not to loud, not to quiet.

When I first drove my '51 Chevy ( unrestored, unregistered, ran/ Drove with brakes, tires were badly checked ) I had just the remanints of the original exhaust, which was about a 2' J coming off the manifold, drove it to my grandparents, and it was LOUD, as I went by houses, people were barbacuing, looking kind of pissed, some of them, others were cheering me on, because they knew me. but, I did get to my grandparents without any trouble with the law, and had no complaints called in. but, whailist the car was at my grandparents ( I brought it down, to do bodywork on it in his garage ) I put a temp exhaust on it, which consisted of a cheap 31" Thrush Magnum glasspack, some str8 pipe and some flex pipe, when I brought it back to my house, it was a nice, mellow tone coming from the old 6, and nobody ever complained. I'v taken it back and fourth a few times, over the years. this year, it will be on the road.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:55 AM

Wow cant say I did'nt want the same thing at your age,lol.I never liked glasspacks,Magnaflows sound similiar but flow far greater.I have super 40's flowmasters on my truck now with full length headers.And I measured them at 91 decibels at idle from 25ft away.I do get some pissed off neighbors once in while though.
I remember the first truck I built 57' C10 I just dropped a new motor in and did'nt have mufflers or pipes.I actually had no way to get to an exaust shop at the time.This was my only vehicle.So I put my pipes,collectors,and mufflers in the bed and drove to the exaust shop 10miles away,on open headers.I was 18 at the time and was trying to keep my foot out of it.See I lived in L.A.Back then so It was all city driving stoplight to stoplight.I could'nt belive I did'nt get a ticket.The only thing that was annoying was with the open headers I'd stuff a couple of rags in the pipes everytime I shut it off.At the time I had them install Glasspacks they were cheap but I dont think I will ever go back to glasspack nowadays.They have so many better mufflers,If I was on a budget I'd pick up some summit brand mufflers.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 PM

I think everyone has given you some great advice, although it may be slightly biased toward the "Quite Zone". There's alot of great "can" mufflers out there.......but if you really want it loud, why even bother with mufflers? Straight pipe will be enough.......
If your gonna get a ticket for being loud, might as well be really loud.
Big noise is cool on the strip, not the street. (Forgive me though, some Rods do sound nice....)
BBBanjo
Old 02-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

The old adage applies.."If you want it to sound like it has Horsepower, Then it must first have horsepower" ... anything else is just wrong..

Not really knowing how your engine is built, but if your investing in headers..Why Embellish it with Cherry Bombs ? Go the whole route and go with something like flowmasters, and if you want the BEST of both worlds, Electronic Cut out at the Header Collectors..

You'll have a Mean sounding street rod (that won't get you busted ) AND at the push of a button, Can open the header Dumps and have "No Mufflers" at all..push again..and street legal!

Doc
Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Doc here,
Go the whole route and go with something like flowmasters, and if you want the BEST of both worlds, Electronic Cut out at the Header Collectors..

You'll have a Mean sounding street rod (that won't get you busted ) AND at the push of a button, Can open the header Dumps and have "No Mufflers" at all..push again..and street legal!

Doc
I like that idea. I might have to use it on my project car...
Old 02-11-2007, 09:28 PM

thats actually a very smart idea
Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Sophisticated Minimalist

those cherry bomb glasspacks are actually pretty restrictive as well...
Old 02-18-2007, 02:22 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:

cherry bombs aint all that good. the fiberglass burns up fairly fast... which will make it very loud but will sound like crap.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
If you're gonna use glaspaks, look down inside. If there is a baffle, drive it out with a broomstick and a hammer. Then install the mufflers with the louver openings facing the rear of the car.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

if its to loud your too old WORMY.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.