chev 12 bolt posi clunking when turning - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2003, 08:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

chev 12 bolt posi clunking when turning

I have a 12 polt chev with 4.11 posi w/less than 100 miles on it. When I first installed it the directions said to sway the car curb to curb t break it loose, which it never seemed to do, but made no noise . The car has ladder bars with steel heim joints. Now when I turn a corner, or even slightly turn the steering wheel while moving slow or backing out of driveway the car clunks and you can feel the ladder bars loading and unloading. Is this normal for this setup, or someone got any idea what could be wrong? I have the GM posi lube in the differential. The posi is fine in straight line and both tires hook up evenly under acceleration.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Suspended

the springs might be too stiff
Old 08-04-2003, 06:17 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

First experienced this problem when my Buds car had a rear wheel bearing problem on a golfing trip. He left the car at a repair shop and picked it up after continuing his trip . The next day, the rear end was poping and cracking during turns. As he was maneuvering to drive it into the shop, I noticed both wheels were trying to pull(easy to see in gravel). We drained the rearend, filled with the correct posi lube and it's good as gold. The repair shop had installed regular gear lube, even when the tab said posi lube only!!

Trees
Old 08-04-2003, 06:42 AM

Chevy Thunder and Trees. thank you for your thoughts. The springs are 175 lbs. per inch, it always did pop a little but not as exaggerated as it is now. I have GM Posi lube it with the GM posi additive. I am going to try draining and refilling the lube as it has been in there for 8 yrs. although was only driven less than 100 miles during the 8 yrs.. I' m going to take a quick looksee while I'm at it. Will let youknow. Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

I worked on the line for chevy back in the late 60s.The noise your are hearing was fairly common with the G M rear ends,we never did know for sure why they did it.

I drive a 66 Elcamino daily with a 373 posi. it pops on left turns only. I`m not going to worry about it.

Troy
Old 08-04-2003, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

If it is your ladder bars I won't comment as I don't know much about them but if your posi, after refilling with new fluid and gm posi additive, do a bunch of slow tight figure 8 patterns. Seems to get the fluid mixed in between the plates.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:48 PM

Thanks folks, Stopped at the GM dealer today, picked up new fluid and additive and was going to pull the cover just to be sure. Whwn I backed the thing out of the garage to move it to the center the darn thing didn't make a noise. Now it either knew what I was gonna tamper with its rear end and didn't like the idea or the 40 mile round trip we took yesterday heated it up so it got lube in the plates. Thats the farthest its been run at one time since being installed. I did some real tight turns left and right and its working the way it should. Think they don't think for themselves. Still gonna pull the cover and change fluid and additive. Maybe I didn't soak the plates long enough initially. The reason I mentioned the ladder bars is the fact that there are no rubber bushings to isolate noises from the rear end, also the coilover shocks are also not rubber bushed. Tanks all ,RAY
Old 08-04-2003, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Man if I woke up after an 8-year sleep I'd be a bit creaky too. Glad that's all it was.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

years ago, i bought a 1979 camaro Z28 that had been sitting 8 years, the rear end popped like crazy, I went to GM and got the posi lube and problem solved. the rear I have in my cutlass now, I removed the guts from a 83 firebird t/a rear, installed it with the stuff you can get at any parts store, i think it`s called "posi traction" said it got rid of the pop and chatter, so I decided to try it and it kept on popping, i did figure 8`s and it still popped, so finally i bit the bullet and got the GM additive, again, problem solved. even so you haven`t put 100 miles on it, if it`s been sitting, the stuff looses it`s effectiveness after time.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:30 AM

Thumbs up

Hi all, I told youI'd let you know what I found on pulling the cover. Let me back up a second . the thing started making noise again. Soooooooo I pulled the cover off to have a look, everything looked like the day I installed it. Cleaned out the old fluid added new GM fluid and new GM additve. From the moment I backed out of the garage till now ( about 3 days ) have not heard a peep out of it. Thanks to all again.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.