Chev 6 cyl casting numbers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chev 6 cyl casting numbers

I took a six cyl. out of my 72 nova to put into a 50 chev truck. need to know what it is. pass side of block says 1. CON2 don't know what that means. 2. B232 I believe that means Feb 23rd 1972 date. doesn't matter. 3. 3994257 sits above GM 85 . im trying to figure the size so i can get headers and 4 barrel intake. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 09:52 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

i bought a inline 6 out of a 72 nova and it was a 250... i got my intake and carb from a local hotrod shop and never will put headers on. but there r some places out there that have dual manifolds that r better than stock that ill get 1 of these days... isnt much, but heres a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edelbrock performer sm.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	18483  
Old 02-13-2007, 10:19 AM

Last photo:

From what I can tell, the only six banger for that year was the 250, the others inline engines were dropped after the 1970 model year.

I tried to find that block number, without sucess.

Ask over on www.inliners.org
Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Hey, I gotta say I just love that big "Hughes Converters" sticker on that 4bbl equipped 250-I6. I will assume it is temporarily covering a hole in the cover until your CLifford cast aluminum cover comes in the UPS truck.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357f-150
From what I can tell, the only six banger for that year was the 250, the others inline engines were dropped after the 1970 model year.
[/url]
True fact. The 250 was the only 6 available in the '72 Nova. The 230 had been dropped, and the 292 only came in trucks. The same intake will fit all 3, and headers will bolt up, although 292 had a taller block, so the head ends up a couple of inches farther from the ground, causing 230/250 headers to possibly have floorpan clearance problems.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:02 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod
Hey, I gotta say I just love that big "Hughes Converters" sticker on that 4bbl equipped 250-I6. I will assume it is temporarily covering a hole in the cover until your CLifford cast aluminum cover comes in the UPS truck.
lmao!!! ive actually had the motor out and cleaned and painted since that pic, but its all i got... and sorry, but im a mechanic, i dont make that kind of money to buy that stuff for it at this time (plus im getting ready to move). the 4 barrel and intake ive had on the car for over 10 years now. obviously, theres no showing this off, but it was something i wanted to do at the time since i couldnt afford a v-8.. i will say though, my car doesnt have any leaks at all, and the underside is as clean as most newer cars... how many other can say that about their daily driven jalopy???
Old 02-14-2007, 10:49 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoMontana
I took a six cyl. out of my 72 nova to put into a 50 chev truck. need to know what it is. pass side of block says 1. CON2 don't know what that means. 2. B232 I believe that means Feb 23rd 1972 date. doesn't matter. 3. 3994257 sits above GM 85 . im trying to figure the size so i can get headers and 4 barrel intake. any help would be appreciated.

con2 is commonly seen on blocks of all different sizes and years

B232 is feb 23 1972

GM85 is who knows what too, see that kind of code on lots of gm parts

theres a stamping code somewhere jut under the base of the distributor hole in the block somewhere on a flat pad

usually

thats the code to decode to find out everything, the year, application, size, hp, etc

good luck

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.