Chev Auto to Early Hemi Conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chev Auto to Early Hemi Conversion

Has anyone done one of these conversions? I've got a 1956 Dodge CRL 2dr HT with a 315ci V8 Poly (same block as the hemi, but with Poly heads). I really don't want to use the 2sp Powerflite that came on the car. They do make an adapter for the early hemi to a varity of trannys, like Wilcap (I believe) and Hot Hemi Heads. I want to cruise the freeways with no problem and am looking for much better mpg, so am considering an overdrive tranny. Recent disability has meant a cash flow issue. I do have an early 4L60e out of a '96 Corvette in my garage, so am wondering what any of you experts think about this swap? Hot Hemi Heads does make an adapter for this early hemi block to a 700r4, but the guy doesn't know if it would work for a 4L60e. He said if the 4L60e bolted up the same (bellhousing and torque converter) as the 700r4, their adapter would work.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Jay

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Stuck in the past.

Last photo:

The bell housing mount surface should be the same between the 2 different transmissions. Also compatible are the turbo 350, 350C, 400, and a few others. You will need to have a way to control the lock up torque converter. Hope this helps some.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

I read somewhere that a guy used a lighted switch that reads "O/D" from a Nissan Maxima and wired the TC lock-up thru this switch and I think the brake switch so it would shut off if you hit the brakes. You just had to remember to shut it off manually if you reduced speed down to city driving or the engine would lug real bad and kind of remind you.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrail
Has anyone done one of these conversions? I've got a 1956 Dodge CRL 2dr HT with a 315ci V8 Poly (same block as the hemi, but with Poly heads). I really don't want to use the 2sp Powerflite that came on the car. They do make an adapter for the early hemi to a varity of trannys, like Wilcap (I believe) and Hot Hemi Heads. I want to cruise the freeways with no problem and am looking for much better mpg, so am considering an overdrive tranny. Recent disability has meant a cash flow issue. I do have an early 4L60e out of a '96 Corvette in my garage, so am wondering what any of you experts think about this swap? Hot Hemi Heads does make an adapter for this early hemi block to a 700r4, but the guy doesn't know if it would work for a 4L60e. He said if the 4L60e bolted up the same (bellhousing and torque converter) as the 700r4, their adapter would work.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Jay
The 4L60E requires a computer to operate it. The 700R4 (and identical 4L60 - without the "E") does not.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

Quote:
He said if the 4L60e bolted up the same (bellhousing and torque converter) as the 700r4, their adapter would work.

4L60E and 700r4(and well any gm trans) will have the same bolt pattern, except for BOP and caddy v-8's

as long as both are from the same degree bellhousing engine

90 degrees(v-8, 4.3L, 229, 200, straight sixes

or 60 degrees
all GM 4 cyl, 2.8L, 3.1L, 3.3L, 3.4L, 3800, AMC 2.5L, etc.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.