Chev Small Block Viberation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chev Small Block Viberation

This is my first post so bare with me. I have installed a Chev. 350 Goodwrench crate engine and 350 turbo transmission in my 1947 Ford. I have drove the car for about 10,000 miles. I used side mount engine mounts from Chassis Engineering. The transmission mount is stock chev. From day one it has had a bad viberation at low RPMs The viberation is the worst at an idle. It gets better as the RPM.s go up.
I was told the engine had 3,000 miles on it and I have put another 10,000 on it. The engine runs very well and has good power. Does not smoke or use oil. When I bought the engine, the guy said he had installed a power cam and new lifters. I don't know if this is true or not. The flex plate is the one that came with the engine. I did remove it and reinstalled it
I have installed a new harmonic blancer. No improvement. I loosen the torque converter and move it back. Cranked the engine and had no improvement. I removed the front motor mounts and had the engine sittting on a jack. Very little improvement I reinstalled the motor mounts and now have the transmission sitting on a jack and still no improvement The viberation seems to be the worst in the front tires and the steering wheel. I have also checked the exhaust pipes. They are mounted in rubber and not against the frame. Also nether the engine or transmission are against the frame. The frame does not seem to have any viberation.
The engine does have some viberation in the airfilter cover and the valve covers. I have been told it is probably the cam and also to check the compresson. As I said before the engine runs very well.
I need help as soon as possible. I about to install a Mustang 11 frontend in the car and I want to get the viberation fixed before I do.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Just a guess here, but is it possible the engine or headers are rubbing against the steering box? drag link? Idler arm?

Maybe the pan not clearing a tie rod?

Doc
Old 04-10-2006, 08:22 PM

Thanks but I have checked this and everything seems to have good clearence.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:36 PM

When you say vibration, is it a fast vebration from the engine or a rocking motion that might be the cam lope?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:40 PM

A fast viberation from the engine.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackum
. From day one it has had a bad viberation at low RPMs The vibration is the worst at an idle. It gets better as the RPM.s go up.

I removed the front motor mounts and had the engine sitting on a jack. Very little improvement

The vibration seems to be the worst in the front tires and the steering wheel. I have also checked the exhaust pipes. They are mounted in rubber and not against the frame. Also nether the engine or transmission are against the frame. The frame does not seem to have any vibration.
I don't think anything in the motor will cause the vibration. All moving parts will get worse with increased RPM.
Doc hit on the most common cause, but you said you have checked that area for clearance.

"I removed the front motor mounts and had the engine sitting on a jack. Very little improvement "

If the motor was on a jack, I would think you would feel no vibration in the steering wheel, just the jack.

Just a thought, experiment with a softer donut in the C. I. mounts and tighten the bolt up just enough to keep the motor from rocking. This is to eliminate the motor mounts, not to drive with.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the information 57 Chey. I will make some softer mounts tomorrow and try them. I am not much of a mechanic but this viberation makes no sense to me. I agree with you there should be no viberation with the motor sitting on the jack but there is almost as much. I have checked and double checked to see if anything is touching and I canot find anything. As I said earlier I now have the transmission mount removed and the transmission sitting on the jack. No improvement. I have been trying to fix this problem for about six months with no luck. The viberation seems to increase when the engine gets hotter but this may be due to the RPM being slower at an idle. It diffentantly gets worse as the RPMs get lower. If you really pay attention to the steering wheel about 55 mph you can feel a slight viberation but very little. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackum
The engine does have some viberation in the airfilter cover and the valve covers. I have been told it is probably the cam and also to check the compresson. As I said before the engine runs very well.
Did you do the compression test? Engine's not missing?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:11 AM

My thought was too solid of a mounted motor, too. Gotta have rubber between engine and frame.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 PM

One other thought, A mustang II front end might not transmit the vibration as much as the solid axel stock front end. If that is something you can live with.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:46 PM

I checked the compression today and had between 120 and 125 LBS on each cylinder. I am going to try more rubber in the motor mounts tomorrow. Thanks for the replys.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:21 AM

While running the compression check, it would be wise to check the plugs. And the wires. I'm not certain of the "vibration" symptoms, but often an ignition short or plug failure will cause an engine to run rough through a limited RPM range.

Pat
Old 04-12-2006, 10:13 PM

Today I put about 2" of rubber under the motor mounts. ( I was wrong in an earlier post) Cranked the engine and the viberation seemed to improve. Then I placed the jack under the engine and raised the engine about 1". The viberation practically went away. No viberation in the front tires and none in the steering wheel. The jack had a lot of viberation. I am sure now the viberation ins in the engine. What is the next step? Replace the cam? Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Probably not an issue but are you sure the new balancer was correct?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:45 PM

No I am not sure the the harmonic balancer is correct. I think it is. The timing mark is correct. I had the same viberation with the balancer that came with the engine as I have with this one. Both balancers had the thin space of rubber in them. Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.