Chevelle front spindles not the same wheelbase - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevelle front spindles not the same wheelbase

I tubbed my Chevelle and used the lower ball joint zerks to set wheelbase on the new rear end. After putting the frame back under the car the wheel opening was off 1/2". I measured from frame holes to ball joint and see the difference forward but going to the rear the measurements are all the same both sides. Body/frame holes line up and all the new body bushing are in exactly the same place as the old ones. I am 1/16" off doing x measurements. It has never been wrecked and I can't imagine it could be off that much and everything line up. I used the old race car string method off the frame to square the tires and now the openings are identical so it appears that the frame was built that way. Did GM have that much tolerance in the old days? Will it matter as long as it is square with the frame?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
It sounds to me that one of the front zerk fittings is farther forward. As goofy as that sounds, THAT is the crux of the problem, you measured off of a variable point, not a "control point".

The holes under the frame, those holes you see all over that aren't even used for anything, those (maybe not all of them, but most of the time all of them) holes are "perfect". They are "control points" used in manufacturing the frame, they are used in jigs and reference.

The zerk location has many variables from the ball joint being a little different one side from the other. Be it a different brand or simply a little different location of the zerk. To the lower control arm bushings being worn or different. So that zerk wouldn't be a good spot to measure ANYTHING, it is a very poor reference.

You need to use the control points under the frame and put your axle where it needs to be.

Brian
Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I get the feeling that the body may be offset by that much......Most of us have seen where the wheels are further from the body on one side of the car....Same thing I am guessing

Budget RVs

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.