Chevelle front suspension refresh - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 08:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevelle front suspension refresh

Gents, I'm putting a Big Block into my 6 cyclinder '69 Chevelle but before I drop that boat anchor under the hood, I want the suspension to be able to handle it. I've done the rear coils and shocks, and now I'm getting ready to do the front. I bought a set of Hotchkiss BB 1" lowering spings, KYB shocks and a suspesion kit from a resto place. The kit came with tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, stablizer links, idler arm, and drag link. The Chevelle has front drums on it now. Eventually I plan to put discs up front, but the money is being spent on the "go" not the "whoa" right now.
My question is: Is replaceing the control arm bushings, ball joints and coil springs something I can do in my driveway? Do I need any other specialized tools other than a pickle fork? Do I need a spring compressor or can I use a jack to lower the control arm and release the tension on the spring?
Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

It can all be done in the drive way, but be very careful when releasing the spring,You can use a chain to secure the spring when you let the lower a arm down, it doesn`t have to be tight, just to keep the spring from shooting out and taking your head off. normally it just falls out. also for safety sake use it when installing the spring to. Good Luck, HTH

Troy
Old 10-08-2003, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

Check out PST (Performance Suspension Technologies) They have stock and Hi-Po suspension kits,brake kits, Disk brake up-grades, sell quality parts at reasonable prices, and have a very helpful tech dept. As for the spring, if you already have the engine/trany out, their probably is't enough weight in the front end to keep the spring from flying. I'd buy a spring compressor that fits inside the spring after the shock is removed and definitely Still use a Safety Chain! Coil springs are real meanies when they get loose. Good luck Have Fun
Old 10-08-2003, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Run the chain through the spring an hook it to the frame or control arms, it will be alright. I have installed springs on bare frames. It can be done.

Troy
Old 10-10-2003, 03:18 PM

what about the ball joints? do I have to drill the old ones out and rivet the new ones, or use bolts or what?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Just grind or chisel the rivets and punch them out , the new ball joints will have bolts with them

Good Luck
Troy
Old 10-10-2003, 08:17 PM

Thanks Troy. I only need to get the shocks, and I can start the job. Probably a set of KYB's from Summit, or SensaTracs from Sears. A friend offered to lend me a spring compressor, but I'll use the safety chain too.
I'm wondering if the straight six will sit kinda funny with those big block springs in there until I do the engine swap. I've heard the sixes weigh more than a small bock.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

Good idea using both safety devices, until you have done several spring changes.

It will probably set a little high until you get the BB in it.

Good Luck
Troy
Old 10-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

PST has some nice kits for front end rebuilds, but stay away from their ball joints. I've used them and had no problems, but I'm hearing more stories of the ball joints breaking from them by other hot rodders. Get the polygraphite bushings from them, and buy the ball joints from Napa. After you remove the old ball joints, the new ones will bolt in using the rivet holes.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.