Chevelle only starts when I let off ignition - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevelle only starts when I let off ignition

A little background:

My 70' Chevelle has been sitting in paint for quite a while. In the mean time I removed the wiring harness and column along with other irrelevant items.

I replaced the ignition tumbler as the old one was broken. I also dissasembled the column, cleaned to clean up and paint. Everything seemed to go back together okay.

Today I made a trip out to start it and after screwing with it for a while (fouled plugs, etc) I finally got it to start, but only after I let off the key. It will crank and crank, but wont start. I let off the key to give up and it fires up. I tried it multiple times and the same thing happens.

Its a 350 with HEI and an auto. I had the power going to the BAT vs the IGN as I was in a hurry, could this have been the issue?

Could I have a bad ignition swith?

Its weird as it didnt do this before I took everything out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

The ignition switch is on the steering column---right?
Might not have it adjusted quite right---The electrical part down near the bottom.
Or another option----might be a bad switch----not exactly sure how the 70 switch is wired for starting.

A quick fix for this--and all you need is a piece of wire about 3ft long.

You could attach this wire to the "R" position on the starter solenoid (providing your car has one), and splice it to the wire feeding the HEI.
Just tape it to the existing purple wire going to the starter.
Might double check---wire may already be there.

If HEI was added, it is possible that there were some other wiring issues done as well.

Up until HEI was standard equipment-(1976-1977??), GM used this method to
provide 12 volts to the coil when starting----when you let off the key to "RUN", 12 volts is no longer being fed.

It is also common for ignition switches to completely drop the IGNition and ACCY circuits when starting the car (ever notice the radio stops, and all the lights on the dash go out when cranking?)---Completely normal.
(This is the reason for the second small wire to the starter)

Don't feel alone in this----I have a forklift at work that does the same thing--seems I cannot get the correct ignition switch for it.

HEY---I think I've seen a pic of that car somewhere else----You on Team Chevelle???
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

There is a resistor bypass wire that feeds full system voltage to the distributor when the key switch is in the start position. When the switch is released to the run position the resistor wire takes over. *There is no power in the bypass wire...broken wire, bad connection, bad ign switch.*
Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

In the case of an HEI you should not be using the resistor wire ever. Sounds like you dont have the hot in crank wire connected to the coil

Chet
Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
HEY---I think I've seen a pic of that car somewhere else----You on Team Chevelle???
Sure am. I came over here to get some technical help with a saginaw I picked up as folks over here seem a little more forgiving with those tranny's.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Well I went out and messed with it again and it starts normally now, didnt really change anything so not sure. Now the car wont idle right, but the carb has been sitting for 5 years so I will be rebuilding it (Edelbrock).

Projects are great

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.