chevelle Posi or Not? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

chevelle Posi or Not?

hi guys i just recently got a 74 chevelle malibu 350, i wanted to know if it has a positrac, am a lil confused since if tires spin in different directions when car is lifted from rear its not a posi, or if you spin them and try to hold one and if one does hold its not a posi. i might be wrong thats why am asking lol, well i lifted the car from rear turn the car and put in drive both tires spin the same direction only one goes faster than the other, i hold the slower one and it stops spinning, but when i give it gas in drive both tires spin same direction and same speed. is it a positrac or not? thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

From what you describe......NOPE, not a posi
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
From what you describe......NOPE, not a posi
even though they both spin in same direction in drive? and giving it gas both spin same speed same direction
Old 10-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkingof956 View Post
even though they both spin in same direction in drive? and giving it gas both spin same speed same direction
If you don't believe poncho, jack one wheel off the ground, put the transmission in nuetral and spin the tire that is raised.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:13 PM

not posi,,,, get a posi carrier
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

There is NO dependable way to test for a posi without taking the cover off and looking inside. If you have a posi and the clutches are worn then every one of these tests where you spin the wheels is going to give you a false reading. A posi with worn clutches will act like a standard differential when you jack it up and spin the wheels. On the other hand, if you have a standard differential that has been damaged from doing one wheel burnouts or if you have a bent axle tube then this will act like a posi when you jack it up and spin the wheels. As I said before, there is NO dependable way to tell without taking the cover off and looking inside. I know because I have been fooled by these things more than once. If you want to know what you have then take the cover off. You probably need to change the oil in it anyway.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 AM

If you have a posi unit with worn out parts that are so worn that it acts like none posi,then it "IS" none posi until it is repaired.You dont have posi,so repair or replace as required
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

I've seen a lot of limited slip differentials (posi) that would spin both tires hard under power, but when you jack it up and turn the tires they would spin in opposite directions. The clutches don't really have much pressure on them until you apply power to the differential. The majority of the pressure that is applied to the clutches comes from the pinion and axle gears trying to push away from each other when power is applied. The springs are there just to help get things started. Some people don't even install the springs when they tune the differential.

Then there is the Governor Lock, which doesn't apply any pressure at tall to the clutches until the wheel speeds become different enough for the governor to turn the cam plate and apply pressure to the clutch pack. It will always allow the wheels to spin in opposite directions when you jack the rear end up until you get the wheels spinning fast enough for the governor to kick in.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.