Chevrolet 409 - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

The Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaws 57
I 1978 I bought a crate motor 409 truck short block and 2 #690 hp heads. Running in my 4dr 55 chev 4sp 12bolt street tires = 13.23 @ 105 shift at 5200rpm and had very good luck with 'truck' motor. "Doorsslammer'' won 1994 at woodburn and 2place in PRO class in 1996 .Friend bought it then gave it to his boy.Strong as ever!
I have known "Grandpas 57" for longer than I can remimber and was around when he built the "Door Slammer". Always loved the car!! I've been sick all year and almost did not make it and knew I had to pass the 409 on to my son. He has been helping me since he was about 13 years old. I was running roundy round cars and had blown up my motor in the last race. I was very busy at the shop and was not going to be ready for friday night races. He came to the shop on his own and did a complete engine swap on his own with alittle hint from me when he got stuck. He is a master mechanic now with college kids of his own. He understands what the "Door slammer" is and loves it. Don't wait to long to pass on stuff to your deserving kids.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Last journal entry: Garrell's rides
Last photo:

chevrolet 409

Well said, and I can certainly understand being sick and not being able to take care of business. I won't go into detail but I am in the third year of recovery from serious health problems. Just last night my Wife and I told our oldest daughter and her husband that we were going to pay off their $80,000.00 mortage and that it would come out of her share of inheratence someday. Because of the economy they fell behind and struggle to meet ends each month and our daughter's health has deteriated from the stress.

Good health to you, Garrell Patterson
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

push rods

If I remember right 409s had different length push rods hardened at one end they were color codded and the hardened end went up. I work on so many different engines I forget maybe it was ford 427 with different push rod lengths and valve caps for adjusting hydraulic lifters.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

chevrolet 409

YES
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

409s

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrell.770
YES
Yes Yes! I have a hard time remembering things sometimes! At times Ill have something right on the tip of my tongue !!! and then three days later it will pop into my head out of the blue!! And Ill wake my wife up at 3 a.m. and tell her what it was (It makes her so mad!!! LOL But I can remember old adresses and phone numbers from when I was five years old! Funny isnt it! Any one else go through this!!

Chris: the jester
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

Absolutely!

I can tell you the whole story about Garlits winning the Nationals over the Ramchargers... turning his first six second ET... and shaving his beard on the starting line. I was standing by his truck for that... and got the back of my head in a Car Craft photo of the event!

I can listen to Sirius Radio, and sing along to a song that I haven't heard in 40-50 years!

I can remember every intimate detail of my first encounter with...... well, never mind that...

But ask me where I just sat my glasses or coffee cup five minutes ago, and I'm totally lost! ...then it takes 15 minutes to find them!

Yes! ...I can relate! {:-(
Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

chevrolet 409

I think I may be president of the memory loss club. Just two years ago this past Christmus, I had no idea what the holiday was about or what family tradition we had as a family or how we celebrated. It is pretty much that way with everything, It is unbelievable what the human brain is capable of absorbing and learning in such a short period of time, I have had to try to catch up with fifty years of total memory loss.

But I am getting there, Garrell
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

409 agreat memory I will never forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
Absolutely!

I can tell you the whole story about Garlits winning the Nationals over the Ramchargers... turning his first six second ET... and shaving his beard on the starting line. I was standing by his truck for that... and got the back of my head in a Car Craft photo of the event!

I can listen to Sirius Radio, and sing along to a song that I haven't heard in 40-50 years!

I can remember every intimate detail of my first encounter with...... well, never mind that...

But ask me where I just sat my glasses or coffee cup five minutes ago, and I'm totally lost! ...then it takes 15 minutes to find them!

Yes! ...I can relate! {:-(
Drives ya crazy doesnt it Ill be looking for my lighter LOL and ask my wife and she'll point out its in my hand LOL women dont seem to have this problem they can remember the smalest thing from 30 years ago (Like honey that dress is a little tight) I actualy said that once!!! Every few years she brings it up!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrell.770
I think I may be president of the memory loss club. Just two years ago this past Christmus, I had no idea what the holiday was about or what family tradition we had as a family or how we celebrated. It is pretty much that way with everything, It is unbelievable what the human brain is capable of absorbing and learning in such a short period of time, I have had to try to catch up with fifty years of total memory loss.

But I am getting there, Garrell
Im sorry to hear that Garrell

Chris

Tags
409, chevy, general engine, history, nostalgia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.