chevrolet blazer,4wd,4 doors donor for 1950 pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

chevrolet blazer,4wd,4 doors donor for 1950 pickup

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Hi,i am new here.
[SIZE=2]and[/SIZE] i live in the Netherlands.
Have this question about a chevy 4 wd, i bought brandnew in 2002, (see picks).It has run 18000 km..So i have this plan for next year to use the frame ,engine and drivetrain as a donor for a chevrolet pick up from about 1950-1954.Has anyone has done this before? and will the frame be strong enough.The wheelbase in front of the chevy 2002 is about the same as a chevy pick up 1953. Only the 2002 chevy is 1,5 foot shorter than a 3/4 ton 1953 pickup .Maybe i need a half ton pickup body.I am now busy with a 1953 pick up, i hope to complete this year.Today i cleaned the wiper vacuum engine, witch did not worked properly. It was working nicely again, but i dropped it on the ground by accident, now there is a bump in the diecasted hou[SIZE=2]sing[/SIZE], thinking of buying an electric 6 volt wiper engine. [/SIZE][/FONT]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevy 10.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	70636  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Does the truck not have a frame?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Let me help you out here Bob, the measurement from the centerline of the front wheel to the centerline of the rear wheel on the same side of the vehicle is called WHEELBASE. The measurement from the centerline of the tire (or wheel) on one side of the vehicle to the centerline of the tire (or wheel) on the other side of the vehicle, on the same axle, is called TRACK. You need to use the proper nomenclature when asking questions.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 AM

Last photo:

track and wheelbase

hi,
Ok, thanks,
Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 AM

For most American trucks the wheelbase and track for a 1/2 ton is the same as a 3/4 ton. However, there may be different options for bed length (5' 1/2', 8', etc.) and cab size (standard, extended 2 door, 4 door) that make a certain configuration a better fit for a body swap.

If the wheelbase and track are very close to what you want, extending or shortening the rear end of the frame is usually possible within certain limits. If the rear portion of the frame is relatively flat you can also move the perches for the rear leaf springs to move the axle. If you have a good welder it is also possible to extend or shorten a frame by welding in or removing a section in the middle. However, that job requires significantly more skill.

Bruce
Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

blazer 2002 donor for pick up

hi,
thanks for your reply.I can shorten the bed,or move the mud guards to the front a little, i think.In Holland you may change 2 items of 3 (chassis,body and engine gearbox and axle)and drive with the same original title, without inspection of the autorities. Maybe i change the engine too,in one without a pc in it controling all.Can i remove all the electronics, and let the engine run without it?.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What you have in mind can be done but to do a good job will test your fabrication skills to the max..All you get from the blazer is a parts pile..

Sam
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 AM

There quite a few engine swaps or modifications that are feasible, but if the current drive-train is low mileage and in good shape I think I would put drive-train changes off until the future.

Quite a few folks are using the newer drive-train in older trucks because its reliable and runs very smoothly. However, once you swap to an older engine or remove the electronics from your current engine you start down a completely different path with picking performance components and tuning to get the performance you want. I think you will already be busy enough with a body swap.

Bruce
The Following User Says Thank You to 75gmck25 For This Useful Post:
bob1970 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

body swap chevrolet blazer 2002

Ha, i can use the pile of parts selling them to finance the project

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.