chevrolet heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2003, 10:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post chevrolet heads

I have a set of the 993 chevy heads.. and i have the 1.94/1.50 valves in them right now... i was wondering if i could have my heads cut and have 2.02/1.60 valves put in. and if it can be done about how much does this cost? eh'

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

with the money you`ll spend getting all that done to a set of smogger heads, you could get a aftermarket set and be much better off performance wise.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:47 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

You might check and see but I think the 993's had the small 1.72" intake valves. these really were Lo-Po. heads!
Old 01-23-2003, 02:08 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

My book say's 3998993 heads were 1.94-1.50. I have a pair and can run two fingers into the exhaust ports, unlike most stock heads. I can do the same with my 461s, Unless you are having it done right (very expensive), stay with the current setup.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:31 PM

993's are pretty good heads to work with, they respond well to porting, and being heavy castings are not prone to cracking. Lot's of meat in the ports and pocket area's to play with.
Downside is that they are 76cc chambers and need domed pistons or the block needs to be decked to get the compression ratio up over 9-1.
Depends on your budget and where you want to end up, but as Doublevision said any work you do should be costed against modern replacement heads.
I would not spend the money on bigger valves, but a reasonably priced port job can net a very worthwhile power gain if done in conjunction with intake & exhaust mods
Old 01-24-2003, 02:52 PM

i just talked to a guy at a very good machine shop in town and he said he could take my 1.94/1.50 vavles out and and put in the 2.02/160 stainless steel undercut valves for 175 thats for the valves and labor, he said they are very good valves, and they use them at a near drag strip, so they must be a decent valve. and he said he will port my 993 heads for 200. so im guessing that isnt bad at all and he's also going to angle mill the head to get more compression. all for about 375 dollars is that bad for all this machine work and new and bigger valves? i think i feel a difference when i bolt them back on.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:47 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Do your heads need guides? if they do you can add a lot more to pot. if your running a bigger cam you`ll also need springs. Your heads you can do as you wish, just saying, smogger heads are not great performance heads, I wouldn`t sink that much into them when I could get a better set of heads for a little more money that give twice the power, Open chamber smogger heads are not very efficient compared to there closed chamber counter parts. Which ever you decide, good luck.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:58 PM

these heads are fairly fresh they have new guides and the springs are the K-motion H-11 single spring made to fit into stock spring pocket, and hold to .610" lift. but now im on a debate if i should just go ahead and get some aftermarket heads. i was kind of leaning toward the Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads, which isnt really an arm and a leg for

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.