Chevrolet Inline / Straight 6-Cylinder Engines: Guidebooks and Resources - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Chevrolet Inline / Straight 6-Cylinder Engines: Guidebooks and Resources

Hi All,

I am researching Chevy in-line sixes and wanted to ask the forum members for recommendations on any books and other sources that provide good information on the history, rebuilding and power applications.

I found a few websites and forums dedicated to in-line sixes with some decent information and I will continue my research on there. I also saw that Leo Santucci's "Chevrolet Inline 6-Cylinder Power Manual" is the one and only book that covers all topics and is also very highly reviewed on Amazon.com. Unfortunately, the $100 - $280 price range is a bit much. However, if that is that sole good source of information, I'll be on the look out for a cheaper copy.

Any recommendations or suggestions for insightful reading on these engines is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Here's Santucci's 2nd edition of the same book for under 20 bucks....
http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Inli...ref=pd_sim_b_4

Might even be better than the 1st edition because he remembered some stuff that he didn't include in the 1st one.

Here are some others I ran across....
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Book-H...ines,2746.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevro...nual,2749.html
http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/

Scroll down here for Mopar 6's....
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/literature.htm

Odd stuff....
http://www.gatorsuperchargers.net/books/books.htm

Last edited by techinspector1; 06-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Hey Mr. Tech Inspector,
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Here's Santucci's 2nd edition of the same book for under 20 bucks....
http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Inli...ref=pd_sim_b_4

Might even be better than the 1st edition because he remembered some stuff that he didn't include in the 1st one.
That was my thinking too when I first saw it, but the rather large price difference for an edition that was published less than ten years after the first one made me wonder if the upadtes were not worth it or something.

Quote:
I saw these two titles on Amazon.com but intially passed 'em over because some reviewers said the portions may now be considered outdated. However, if you and others recommend these titles, then I will be sure to read them.

Quote:
I will definitely look into these. Thank you Sir!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Here's a nice place to start looking on line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Atlas_engine
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1
Here's a nice place to start looking on line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Atlas_engine
Thanks! I never did think about the newer ones but I've read about a hopped up Trailblazer with the Vortech in-line 6 putting out serious power. I wonder how it performs against the old school ones in terms of power, affordability and reliability. The older engines are cheap, but the parts don't seem to be as widely availabe as the V8s.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

check out inliners.org as those guys do nothing but the inline engines..

Sam
Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM
"But how do it know?"

Thanks Sam! I just visited their Bulletin Board. From what I saw during my quick browsing, there is lots of good linformation there. The community seems small, but quite dedicated. Thanks again!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy/Inline/Straight 6-Cylinder engines

The Chevy inline 4200 six is being evaluated and actually worked up by Self Racing of Durant, OK. These guys are dead serious about what they think they can get out of the engine. I heard they got 550HP with just a few modifications. They do have a website and you could look at it. They have an engine Dyno with a 4200 connected right now and the flows they have been getting from the head they reworked makes me think 800HP will be attainable at a later date. It only takes money and a lot of it.
Normbc9
Old 07-07-2011, 05:13 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highball
The Chevy inline 4200 six is being evaluated and actually worked up by Self Racing of Durant, OK. These guys are dead serious about what they think they can get out of the engine. I heard they got 550HP with just a few modifications. They do have a website and you could look at it. They have an engine Dyno with a 4200 connected right now and the flows they have been getting from the head they reworked makes me think 800HP will be attainable at a later date. It only takes money and a lot of it.
Normbc9
That's some serious power! I have seen it mentioned regularly that it does cost some money to make power from these engines. I went to Self Racing's website, but couldn't find any information on thier build. However, I did notice that they have the same exact pictures of a motor that is in your album (1 and 2). Did they build that for you?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

I clicked on this thread to recommend inliners.org - their forum is great for this purpose - but I'm too late.

All the same, I'll add a warning about Wikipedia. This can be edited basically by anyone at any time without check. Wrong information can and does abound in Wikipedia articles.

For instance, the other day someone remarked on a racing forum that the lap record at the old Warwick Farm circuit in Sydney was 1:24 and held by Frank Gardner. Frank did set that time in February, 1972, but by the end of the year Frank Matich had taken the record down to 1:23.3.

This is easy public domain stuff, how could anyone get it wrong and publish it as fact on Wikipedia?

Simple... because they can!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell
I clicked on this thread to recommend inliners.org - their forum is great for this purpose - but I'm too late.

All the same, I'll add a warning about Wikipedia. This can be edited basically by anyone at any time without check. Wrong information can and does abound in Wikipedia articles.

For instance, the other day someone remarked on a racing forum that the lap record at the old Warwick Farm circuit in Sydney was 1:24 and held by Frank Gardner. Frank did set that time in February, 1972, but by the end of the year Frank Matich had taken the record down to 1:23.3.

This is easy public domain stuff, how could anyone get it wrong and publish it as fact on Wikipedia?

Simple... because they can!
Not to go off topic, but yes, you are correct: Wikipedia is edited by the public so not necessarily 100% correct. Thanks for the heads up for the other members.

I did check out the liners.org and it is a sweet website/forum. Lots of good reading.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Consider the library when looking for these books. OUrs had Leo's book and I renewed it many times, almost like I owned it...
Old 07-11-2011, 03:40 AM

Last photo:

Chevrolet Inline/Straight 6-Cylinder Engines

No they didn't. This is their first knock-off and the photo's are from their site. I stop by and visit every year when I'm campaigning my Alcohol Drag car. It is a 261 inline six with a twelve port head and an older injection setup. They did the modifications to two heads I use regularly. I also have another head built up by Sissell's in El Monte, CA and it too is impressive with the change in performance this engine produces. Right now the inline engine that has the most promise for racing development is the dual O/H cam Chevy 4200 and it isn't anywhere near finished for power production. Self's is really putting a lot of time and research into those possibilities and they have the know how, brain power and tooling needed to get this project off the ground. I was told the 4200 has the potential of 800 HP and I do believe that.
Normbc9
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Sometimes pictures say thousands of words. Look at these. A 250, a 261 and a 292.
Normbc9
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42-4650 K&N.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	56944   Click image for larger version

Name:	261wtriplecarbs.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	56945   Click image for larger version

Name:	300fordi6blown.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	56946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nor Cal Knockout! 149 (Large).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	56947  

Tags
beginner resoucres, chevy, engine, inline 6, straight 6

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.