Chevrolet Limited slip pinion shaft removal, HOW??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevrolet Limited slip pinion shaft removal, HOW???

I have a 1979 Monte Carlo, had a bad 6-cylinder, put in a hot 350. Tires spin if you even look at the gas pedal, so I got a limited slip rearend for a steal. Before I put it in, I wanted to clean it up, paint it and of course replace the bearings and seals. I did all the cosmetics, then pulled the cover to get to the C-clips. Removed the little pinion retainer bolt, and expected the pinion shaft to come out easy, like it has for me in the past; however, the limited slip has the spring-retainer (I think that is what it is called, I Googled for an hour) and the pinion shaft will not slide out. IO tapped it a bit, and it simply will not come out, I wasn't about to start beating on it. I figured the Internet would be filled with simple "how to" diagrams and videos...it was, except for limited slip applications. Some sites (this one too) make reference to removing the parts in order to get to the C-clips, but those sites blow right past all the steps and merely say "remove the pinion shaft" or cross shaft. Help, please!! If thee answer appears somewhere on this site, I apologize, I've been looking for quite a while.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Are you sure all the bolt it out?

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107063
Old 06-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

If you are sure the whole spider gear pin bolt ie... (pinion bolt) has came out, and the pin still does not want to come out. The pin is probably warped or welded itself to the spider gears from doing 1 legged burnouts. Been there done that, had to use a torch to cut the center part of the pin out in order to get the axles to slide in to get the C-clips out.

Last edited by HalfOunce; 06-15-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Having just gone through the broken bolt issue on one of these, does your pinion shaft lock bolt look like the whole one or the broken one in this picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0614082009sm.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	30607  
Old 06-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

Wow, how did you get the picture of my broken bolt?! It came out so easy I didn't even examine it, I guess they don't break when you are taking them out as much as they do from abuse (I bought the rear end in this condition). Mine has at least a thread or two left inside. I couldn't find my easy-outs, so I ran to the parts store and got a new set...I imagine the easy-outs should do it, but my fingers are crossed nonetheless. Advance Auto did not have the new bolt, so I imagine I'll be making a stop at the Chevy dealer and pay $7.50 for a 25 cent bolt. Thanks...I'll follow-up.

Thankfully, it looks like nothing is bent or fused as some feared.

Last edited by BuickGuy; 06-15-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGuy
Wow, how did you get the picture of my broken bolt?!
It's amazing that I just had to deal with this same problem a day ago. You might want to read this thread:

Problem w/ 8.5" C-clip axle

By the way, the bolt was $4 at the chevy dealer. The pinion shaft was $44. Both were in stock.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGuy
Wow, how did you get the picture of my broken bolt?! It came out so easy I didn't even examine it, I guess they don't break when you are taking them out as much as they do from abuse (I bought the rear end in this condition). Mine has at least a thread or two left inside. I couldn't find my easy-outs, so I ran to the parts store and got a new set...I imagine the easy-outs should do it, but my fingers are crossed nonetheless. Advance Auto did not have the new bolt, so I imagine I'll be making a stop at the Chevy dealer and pay $7.50 for a 25 cent bolt. Thanks...I'll follow-up.

Thankfully, it looks like nothing is bent or fused as some feared.
If the remainder of the bolt doesnt wanna turn with like a dental pick on the edge of it. you might take a small propane torch n heat that spot on the carrier n try a pick again.... it should come right out..Them bolts are supposed to have red lock tight which will require heat(not cherry red either) to remove easily. On another note if you do decide to go the easyout method i would drill the hole for the easyout with a left handed drill bit.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOunce
On another note if you do decide to go the easyout method i would drill the hole for the easyout with a left handed drill bit.
Agreed, sometimes the lefty drill bits will zip the broken bolt right out without needing the easyouts.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Agreed, sometimes the lefty drill bits will zip the broken bolt right out without needing the easyouts.
I read about the lefthand drill, and was going to give it a try (hardware store was closed). I will try the dental pick first, then get some left hand drills, and borrow a 90 degree drill... the hole is just a little low to get at it with a regular straight drill.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 PM

Amazing how many times this bolt is broken. I used the kit from www.fabbriassociates.com. www.etoolcart.com also carries it and I think they're cheaper.

Anyway, the kit worked great in like 10 min. I will never be caught without one of these again! No fuss, no damage!

Good luck.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.