Hot Rod Forum banner

chevy 235 to v8 swap

8K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  seanross 
#1 ·
hi guys new to the forum and wondering if someone here could help me out. i have a 60 impala with a 235 i6. gonna drop a small block in. i know the bellhousing is different so im going with a short turbo 350 to replace the ironglide. i guess my question is what motor mounts should i use? i have all kinds of parts so im not going to go aftermarket. chevy pickup? car? what year is the best to use for my car? i have stuff from 283 to vortec. but nothing x frame with a v8 to look at. i just finished pulling the six out about an hour ago so havent mocked anything up yet but maybe some suggestions could save some messing around. thanks for any help!!

also, exhaust suggestions? cant find much for headers other then super comps but on a budget so thats out the window. but block hugger headers? or should i just go with ram horns? i think i have a set of the old vet big tube ram horns from my stock car days. but block huggers might look pretty good so what works? thanks again

#2 ·
hey,

Throwing in a 1968-1986 350 just might be what the old car needs.

If changing from powerglide to th350.. measure the exact length of each tranny. There is more than likely going to be a difference.

I bet the original differential gear ratio was low for that 235 to pull a hill strong enough. So plan on changing that too unless you don't mind 3,000 rpms and 12 mpg on the 350 engine at 60 mph.

Seems most these guys would go with a 700r4 overdrive to match that lower gear ratio.. to acheive 18-20 mpg.

If the frame crossmembers do not unbolt to be moved fore and aft.. they will need the cutting torch and welding treatment.. to get them in position for engine mounts and transmission mounts.

Should I keep expounding?

#3 ·
its a 383 vortec. one peice rear seal. 4 bolt mains. rh dipstick. mockup went great today. the car came factory with sbc mounts, it just had adapter plates for the six. bolted up the mock motor no prob. drilled new holes in the cross member for the th350. used a driveshaft from a 3 speed car (shorter shaft). so now i just need a new steady bearing and some headers and ill be ready to roll! thanks

#4 ·
seanross said:
its a 383 vortec. one peice rear seal. 4 bolt mains. rh dipstick. mockup went great today. the car came factory with sbc mounts, it just had adapter plates for the six. bolted up the mock motor no prob. drilled new holes in the cross member for the th350. used a driveshaft from a 3 speed car (shorter shaft). so now i just need a new steady bearing and some headers and ill be ready to roll! thanks

hey,

"..just need a new steady bearing.."

What is a "steady bearing?"

#9 ·
seanross said:
didnt even know it had one until i pulled it apart (hiding in the frame) napa doesnt list it but does anyone know the part number?
hey,

Hopefully someone still has a GM parts manual going back to 1960.

I went to the Ford dealership to ask about a replacement cap that goes on the brake master cylinder for a 1966 truck.

They said their books only went back 20 years. 1991-2011

I have no idea how far back GM dealerships have parts manuals for.

But I have seen stuff like that on ebay.

Kind of like potluck.. never know what you might find unless you go on a search and destroy mission.

#10 ·
Napa lists it, but you don't have a counter person willing to check the books. Hate those guys but, it happens at larger stores.

Found on Napaonline

1960 Chevrolet Impala
Print Email to a Friend Post on Facebook
Part Number: BRG HB206FF
Product Line: NAPA Bearings
Attributes:
Dimension : 1.1811"
Features and Benefits: Bearing Insert With Mounting Bracket
Warranty: Limited 12 Months

Warranty PDF
Have questions about this item? Call your local NAPA AUTO PARTS Store at 800-LET-NAPA (800-538-6272)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.