Chevy 283 Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 01:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 283 Build

Hey everyone, looking in to building up the stock 283 i put in my 63 4dr nova last summer. Its a blast having it in there and the thing moves pretty good but i want more power. Id like to get about 300-350 hp out of it. Anyone got any suggestions to intake, cam, heads, etc? I mostly do street driving but i dont care about the mpgs. I plan on putting in a th350 with a descent stall and some low gears in the rear.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

283 build

i'm from old school and like factory parts or reproduction of factory parts. such as cam shafts. the 327 back in 1967 so as a 350hp hyd cam shaft does very well on the street. if you like more radical the 365hp camshaft is a solid lifter cam shaft called the 30-30. the cubic of the engine may mot be correct but the cam shafts are correct, both were use in corvette and comaro. if you can find a chevrolet interchangable part book it will give specs. crane cams make a factory replacement parts cam shaft. use ing the power pack heads or the fuely heads are a good choice. look for around 64cc heads . there are other choices. manifold and carb. is a matter of choice. i like the performer and a quadrajet others like the holly . i sure you will get some other suggestions. the interchangable book can be found at barnes and noble book store also check Amazon.com
Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

if you plan to make that much power with a 283 then you will need more gear, more stall converter, and more compression. 3000 stall and 4.11's would be a good idea.

If you don't want to change gears and converter, ect. then plan on using a bigger engine, like a 350, 383, or 400.

A compcam 280H with the correct valve springs. Will need about 10:1 compression and headers. 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 dual exhaust system.

I would use a performer or regular RPM intake (square bore) with a 600-750 holley square bore carb (vacuum secondary).

Or add some boost to the 283. (turbo, blower, super charger, or n02) and leave the rest of the car alone.

Last edited by 454C10; 12-25-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Chevy 283

I've been noticing that on a couple forums that guys really like the 350hp 327 cam and running 305 heads on there. But i also heard those heads have a tendancy to warp. Not sure if its true or not. I definetly plan on putting a stall and new gears also. I want to keep the 283 but im just having a harder time figuring out a good power combo because alot of people seem to have different opinions on this motor. Any more suggestions would be great, thanks.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Getting the 283 to 300 horses isn`t a easy task without killing the low end torque. Bolting on 305 heads isn`t going to get it there either. Flow is power, and the heads are the key to making high power numbers. The problem with the 283 is while it`s a great small block, it`s small cubic inches, the bores not very large and the stroke is short. If you tried to follow the pattern of a classic small block with given power numbers such as trying to copy a L79 327 camshaft you`ll knock the wind out of that 283 and it`ll be a dog on take off. There are cams out there now that are so much more advanced than the old chevy cams will ever be. You also have to consider, a 327 has 44 cubic inches on a 283 and that`s alot which is why larger small blocks can handle larger cams. I would find a set of Vortec heads then select a cam that will keep you in the ball park of good low end torque. Install a good intake, carb, ignition, headers then tune it and you`ll have your 300 horses.
You may want to consider installing better rods or at least installing better rod bolts as the small journal rods aren`t very good.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

283 build

you might look into a book by Smokey Yunick called power secrets by Smokey Yunick sold on Amazon.com. over 400hp from a 302ci using factory parts. he built a lot of small block chevys. high hp. check it out.you dont need big cubic inches to produce hp. i took a 1959 283 out to 301. 4 inch bore and 3 inch stroke . they do run and very well. used most of Smokey's secrets.good luck in your research..

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.