Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 283 intermittently runs well
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 283 intermittently runs well

Hi guys.

I've got a 283 SBC with 305 cylinder heads and mild cam, Edelbrock Torker II and an Edlebrock Performer Carb. I've been working on this setup for a few weeks now and over the weekend it ran for the first time like an absolute champ. I let it get totally warm before I embarked on the road trip. Today...after making NO changes, and not having been started it since Sunday, it's back to its old shenanigans. I did not allow it to warm up fully before embarking and it died at every stop light...shoot it would die going down the road if you let off the throttle and it is hard to start.

Other items, it is running an electric fuel pump with an inline pressure regulator set on 5, whatever that means, it has settings 1-5. 4,5 are recommended for 'v8's'.

The carb is not an electric choke model, but a manual one. Normally if I keep it slightly choked it will stay running under low throttle but lose power when on the open road, so I unchoke it. But this becomes a serious nuisance with the constant choking and unchoking.

Would an electric choke help?