Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 283 intermittently runs well
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
A electric choke won`t help matters much. The choke is telling you that you have a problem elsewhere. If it runs good with the choke partially closed it means it`s allowing less airflow and more fuel in, indicating the mixture is too lean with the choke in the full open position. Check it for vacuum leaks, check the carb and make sure it`s not plugged up and check the spark timing, also check fuel delivery. It`s also likely been mentioned the Torker II is the wrong intake for a street bound 283. A dual plane intake like the performer would be far better. You may want to check the intake bolts for tightness as well. What ignition system are you using?
Unfortunately I did not assemble the engine, I bought it as is so I didn't have much choice on what manifold came with it. The engine only has 1,000 miles on it after it was rebuilt. I've had the pan off and the cylinder bores seem to confirm the low miles. It came out of a 'deuce coupe'. The guy installed a fuel injected 350 and thus replaced this carb'd 283.

It's a standard dizzy, points type with vacuum advance. I am wondering if the fuel pump is weak. I have a glass Russell see through filter under the hood and I notice that sometimes the filter is nearly empty. I've been told that is kinda meaningless, but thought I would not it here anyway since I've heard that Edelbrock carbs like to flow a lot of fuel. I'll run a smoke test and see if I can find a vaccuum leak, but would that cause and intermittent issue like this? The car has a new fuel tank and fuel line and the carb looks to be new as well.

I was going to replace the fuel pump next but I wanted to get some indication from someone more knowledgeable than myself that this might be a fuel delivery issue. before I forked over the money for one of those Holley electric pumps.