Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 283 intermittently runs well
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969
I'm not to sure about stumble and die. Does it stumble the instant you are applying the gas pedal or just cruising at a steady speed? I would check the float Level in the carb. It may be set to high or check if the float valve if it's closing properly.
Yes. I am under suspicion about the carb now. As for the stumbling, here is an example. The entrance to my driveway has a street drain that runs across it so it is sort of dished. When the car is acting up, if I go over this dip...at any speed... the car begins to stumble and it is very difficult to keep running. Also if I pull to a stop sign and leave it in gear (automatic), and I don't add choke to it, put it in neutral or some other corrective manipulation of the throttle, it will die. Going downhill at a moderate incline it will begin stumbling and could potentially die, again applying choke saves it (or modulating the gas pedal). It just ends up being a lot of work to keep the thing idling without a stall. On the open road at speed though I'm not seeing any problems. I should mention a week ago I went for a drive and the car was absolutely flawless and exhibited none of these problems. I parked it and started driving it again 2 days later and it was back to its shenanigans.