Chevy 292 in line 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003, 01:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Chevy 292 in line 6

Hi Folks,

I'm considering putting one in my '57 210 wagon to replace a tired out 235. While I need to determine yet that the overall installed height of the engine will allow it (the carb cover nuts on the 235's Offy intake just barely contact the hood) I've got some basic questions about the engine that maybe you folks can help me with so here's the scenario:

As I understand it, the mid 60's engines (pre smog) were rated at ~ 170 hp from the factory. If my research is correct, that block casting # would have been 328880 or 1970? The 1970 looks a little weird to me but I pulled it off of a website for recycled engines...

I understand it's reasonable to expect that a restored (to factory specs) 292 engine with a properly sized set of 3 one barrel carbs, headers and duals could get you around 200 rear wheel hp (and that's my target by the way). Is there merit to going with oversized valves, different (aftermarket) cam, etc or is the factory build (with the carb/header bolt ons) going to get me there?

Since the car is going to be on the street (not a daily driver though) could one expect ~ 18 to 20 mpg with the factory engine/bolt on mod setup?

While I'm looking, I could be made to change my mind from retaining the 3 speed column setup I currently have to a 5 speed on the floor. If you look at my pics link, I'm getting ready to replace my floor pans and now's the time to cut whatever holes I'd need. Sure do like that 3 speed though...<LOL>

I've got the links to inliners, stovebolt, etc in my favorites and haven't gotten the answers to the above short of posting the questions there. Clifford's got nice piece parts but short of calling them with questions (and I dont't know enough yet to do that) thought I'd try here first.

What I haven't run into yet is a list of the vehicle years/models where this engine (the higher hp version) was deployed. That would help me out a lot while I'm looking for a recycled engine to rebuild.

Just some basic parameters: I don't want to go with a v-6 or an 8. I don't want to go with a blower. I do know there are motor mount differences but no big deal.

And here's a link to my pics.

<a href="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=504592" target="_blank">http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=504592</a>

Thanks in advance folks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2003, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

The tall deck 292 was a truck only motor. In stock trim, they are about the same height as a 235 and are 19% lighter. The deck height on a 230/250 is 1.75" less than the 292. The 230/250 is also 24% lighter than a 235.

To make any serious attempt at getting power or mileage from a 292, "Lump Ports" are needed. The 3.875" X 4.125" 292 was built for one thing, Torque. To get 200HP at the wheel means you will need about 1HP per inch at the crank. Big valves, port work, higher compression, and more cam, along with your intake and headers is going to be needed. Dan
Old 01-03-2003, 04:48 AM

Talking

Thanks Dan.

Regards.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.