Chevy 3.4L V6 coolant issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 3.4L V6 coolant issues

Hi guys,
I could need some advice.
A friend of mine has a 2005 Chevy Equinox. A couple days ago it started overheating. Coolant level was low. He topped it of but it overheated again shortly after. Right coolant low again. He brought it into a shop to diagnose the issue. They told him most likely the head gasket. I will get the car tomorrow to change the head gasket. Now I was reading a bit about that type of engine and the intake gasket and intake itself seem to pop up a lot as cause of this coolant issue. I will check the engine oil when I have the car. Any other save way to tell intake or head gasket? I hate to tear the heads down to find out thats not the problem. If its the head gasket anything specific to watch while I change it? Besides the usual machine the heads for flatness new head bolts...?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tomi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I would suspect the intake before the heads. GM v-6's are known for leaking intakes. Anyway, the intake will come off first.
Before I would order any parts or start tearing the engine down, I would do my own diagnosis rather than rely on someone else's. JMHO! good luck!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Last photo:

If you remove the heads. You will have to have them resurfaced. I do MANY of these. The heads will be warped .003-.006" ALWAYS. One overheat and the heads are warped. DO BOTH HEADS. Always replace the head bolts. Usually there are two+ exhaust studs broken off in the heads. At times I do six pairs of these per day. We have a special on these . Pressure check&mill. Thank god for generous motors 3.1-3.4 motors.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

pressure test the cooling system,you'll probably notice that the cylinder head next too the fire wall will be leaking coolant (the leak will be on the side next to the pass side , in the center of the head )
I had 2 of these last fall , both 2005 equinox , 3.4 l engine, with about 70 000 to 75000 miles on them.
the gasket had a crack in it, around a coolant passage,on both 2005 equinox it just looked like someone took a knife and cut the gasket !
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

This is a huge issue with this particular engine. GM had these produced in China and did a lot of these under warranty. If it leaks internally they were covering them past the normal warranty period. you may want to check with the dealer.
The problem also usually comes back after the repair. As mentioned above, make sure the heads are resurfaced.

Chet
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Thanks for all of your answers.

I finally go the car in. The coolant disappears thru the exhaust it makes a lot of white smoke. Its not leaking out anywhere and the oil doesnt show any signs of antifreeze contamination. Tomorrow I start taking it apart. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help guys!

Tomi
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

GM has a service bulletin on this subject "repair after damage" such as after over heating and coolant loss on the 05 equinox, 3.4 engine.
I didn't read the actual bulletin, but it's listed along with other re-calls for that year and model.

Read the list yesterday after a google search. If you search a little deeper, you might do better than me and be able to check the bulletin out or, check with the dealer on the subject as stated above. The service bulletins have all the info you will need.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Guess Im too stupid to find the detailed service bulletin. I was able to find a million and five of those but just for what car and the headline. No detail tho. However I go step by step now. Maybe I can stop already after the intake.

Thanks again for all the help!
Tomi
Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

That makes two of us! Maybe it's just not available on line. I'll bet Techinspector could cough it up in about two minutes.

He's slick like that.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I posted a new Q on this same forum "GM service bulletin". Subscribe to the thread and maybe we'll get lucky with a response. Hope this helps with the bulletin search.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

the gm 3.4L commonly blow head gaskets all the time, ive had to replace many for ppl i just did a grand am gt one recently

the old late 80's grand am 3.0L v6 head gaskets were bad like this also back in the day when they were common,

they are aluminum head engines and the factory gaskets werent good enough
Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 PM

So it is the head gasket. Intake was all nice and dandy. Cylinder 1 the gasket was oval and let the water in. Got it all out and take the heads to a machine shop Monday. Still have some cleaning to do. But it went pretty good.

Tomi

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.