Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy 302 Buildup--Needing some advice!
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 03:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 302 Buildup--Needing some advice!

Hey, guys. I'm trying to build a 302 with a 67 small journal 327 and a steel 283 crank. I researched quite a bit, and I bought parts, but one important piece is going to cost quite a bit more than I had anticipated. The 5.940" L99 PM connecting rods that have been mentioned by others, they used to be 250 a set from GM performance. They discontinued them as a complete set, and to buy 8 of them individually would cost more than 700 dollars (a bit more than I want to spend). I already have the rod spacer bearings, 327 hyper flattop pistons .030 over, the block, and the crank. Are there any other rods that would bring my 1.675 comp. height pistons high enough in the hole? I don't want to go with the 5.7 rods, as the 1.785 comp height pistons (original 302) cost a mint as well, and are too high compression. I also liked the idea of a 1.98 r/s ratio in a high winding motor.

I was wondering if anyone could still source me a set of the L99 PM rods as a complete set a little less expensive than buying them individually? I've checked around to see if anyone had a set in a warehouse, but to no avail. Also, is it possible to use the 5.850" rods and deck .1 off the block? That's a helluva deck job, and I don't know if it's possible, but that would give me a 1.95 r/s ratio. Would a 327 block be able to handle that? That may be a better option if I could find some small journal 5.850" rods because then I wouldn't have to use spacer rod bearings. Any help or advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. And for you guys who are asking "Why a 302?" I ask you Why Not? If I see another "baddest engine in town!" 383 stoker, I think I'll puke blood.

Thanx in advance,

--Jeremy