chevy 327 cam help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 AM

Last journal entry: out with the old in with the new
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 327 cam help

I have a 327 with 91/2:1 pistons and 202 heads, what is the highest lift and highest duration can I use for this combo. what Iam looking for is that extrem loppy idel, Thanks all

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alle4901
I have a 327 with 91/2:1 pistons and 202 heads, what is the highest lift and highest duration can I use for this combo. what Iam looking for is that extrem loppy idel, Thanks all

Which pistons and which heads? 91/2:1 and 202 mean absolutely nothing. We need part numbers. Also what head gasket? What was your deck clearance?

What intake/carb are you running? What car is this going into, and what type of trans? If its an auto, waht stall? What is the tire size? What are the rear gears? What fuel do you plan on using?

Answer all of those and we'll get back to ya- without that information picking a good cam is like throwing darts with a blind fold on.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Crane Cams

Comp Cams

Howards Cams

Lunati Cams

Crower Cams

Here are links to 5 popular cam manufacturers. All are reputable and make a living by providing cams. I would highly recommend you contact them for recommendations. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Isky cam #201288 will get you the "rough" prostreet idle you are after.
This cam will not idle while in gear, using a stock torque converter. You'll need a 10" 3500 stall at minimum if you want to be able to idle while in gear with an automatic trans. Very low manifold vacuum at idle. Requires full locked out spark timing. Lock the distributor mechanical spark advance out and set the timing at 36deg BTDC at idle.
This cam should be "degreed in" and advanced 6 degrees for best results.
(100/112 degree centerlines) Best with a very high rear gear ratio. 4.56 zone. The more the merrier, Especially if the car is heavy.
The modest .450" valve lift of this cam makes it trouble free to install on a near stock 327 engine. Use "Z/28" or Isky 205D valve springs for best results.
You'll need new Hyd lifters too.
Isky 288H MegA-CaM
288-288- 244-244@.050 106 LSA .450"-.450"
It will have a very rough idle and not a lot of low end torque until 3000+rpm.
Again, requires a very high stall torque converter (auto trans) and a high rear gear ratio. A P/B vacuum resevoir may help.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:09 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

F-bird, you're rigth about the cam spec- that will be rough, but you know he won't like it since its not drivable.

You see these posts as often as I do, and 9 times out of 10 its a mostly stock sbc with a used random intake and a 600cfm holley. Running a stock stall on a TH350 with low 3's for gears (3.73 if you're REAL lucky). And he'll want atleast 12 mpg's...

Like I said- your answer's right but his question is most likely worded wrong.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Ya the poster is probabily dreaming of turning his daily driver into a Pro Stock. But at least he'll have an idea of what kind of camshaft specs to look for and how to set the motor/carb/ignition/gearing/converter up to make it "driveable".
Will definatily give him the "Mutha-Thumper" idle, yet this one is simple to install 'cause of the modest .450" valve lift. Will have good "driveability" if set up along these guidelines.

Wether its a good idea is another story.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Yea, I'm hesitant to think anyone who spec's heads by the intake valve size or the pistons as "91/2:1" can change a camshaft...

But we all start somewhere. He's probably better off running something like a 262 cam, and just pull the EVO way up when they grind it- like 12 degrees. It won't be optimal but it'll make a lot of noise and with the earlier IVC could probably live with a stock conv. and whatever compression he has.

My feelings are that you should atealst try to keep some dynamic compression even if you are going hog wild on the exhaust. There's no reason to give it 15 degrees more exhaust duration like a thumper cam- just advance the EVO by about 12 degrees and the IVC by about 4 from a better matched cam.

It'd probably run pretty well with a turbo at low RPM, but that's about al the cam would really be suited towards. That and making a lot of noise.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

That won;t give you the idle sound he's after. You cannot make a little cam into a big cam. 218@.050 duration is not near enough reguardless of how you install it. You need the high exhaust gas delution EGR effect at idle to get the Ruff idle sound.
Overlap is how you get this. Lots of overlap and duration. Tight lobe seperation angle (LSA) and advance it to the max for max cylinder pressure (torque). You need 230@.050 or more to get the racey idle sound he is after.
If you want to prostreet idle sound in a near stock motor, this is how you do it.
This is about the largest cam you can intstall in a stock type motor without valve to piston clearance issues.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 12-24-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM

Last journal entry: out with the old in with the new
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alle4901
I know i gave limited info, I just got int o the car thang but i did pro street harley motors for years so i have mechanical knowlege, just not the greatest with v8s, As for the motor for type of pistons, deck clearanc,e and heads other than stock cas iron heads ,i couldnt tell you cuz i didnt build it , carb is a holly 650 trans 400 auto 2400 stal, tires 20 x 18s in the rear , just trying to get by until I get the funds to build a 383 stroker for the ole 57 chevy truck. but thank you all for the advise, its much appreciated

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.