Chevy 350 in a 56 Pontiac - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy 350 in a 56 Pontiac

im swapping out the original 316 and hydramatic with a chevy 350 with a th350 tranny in my 56 Star Chief and would like to know where i can buy an engine mount conversion kit. looking for bolt on kits but if not ill settle for do it yourself weld to frame kit. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOM
im swapping out the original 316 and hydramatic with a chevy 350 with a th350 tranny in my 56 Star Chief and would like to know where i can buy an engine mount conversion kit. looking for bolt on kits but if not ill settle for do it yourself weld to frame kit. thanks
I have no clue as to mounts for a SBC. BUT- have you given any thoughts to putting a Pontiac engine back into it?

Even the 316 has potential. This is from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Want "different"?

Hendrickson and Osterstock got together in '72 to build a Pontiac 326 for racing in NHRA E/MP (Modified Production).

No, not THAT 326, either. This engine was based on a '56 316. Bored 0.060", it was almost the same B&S as the SBC 327.

It got RA IV heads, 4-tube headers, and a tricky dual-four TR intake manifold.

Ran good.

These two racers later on joined up to start H-O Racing Specialties, Inc. You might have heard of them. No longer doing business by that name, though, and were before Butler et al, so many haven't heard of them.

The point is, there are too many iconic vehicles running around w/SBC engines already, IMHO. Even a Chevy guy would say, "COOL" to having a Pontiac engine in your Safari.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

I agree 100% ....the original 316....or any of the early poncho engines, its a heavy car so a 389 would be nice in front of the hydro. Obviously I love the 327 chevy but the last thing I would do is stick one in that Star Chief. Memory Lane is right in you're neighborhood, give them a call.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I agree another 100%. Pontiac V8's were all the same external size right up through the 455. Edelbrock is makin' some dandy Pontiac heads. Bolt these puppies on a 9.5:1 455 and have yourself a torque monster....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...perf-rpm.shtml

Last edited by techinspector1; 04-05-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Another vote for keeping the Poncho, they are SO cool and they respond very well to a little performance work.

Cobalt, I cut my "gearhead" teeth on Pontiacs, I bought a few goodies form the old H-O Specialties back in the day. Arnie beswick, Nunzi, Royal........ oh yeah! Those were the days.

If I didn't have the Stude I'd be on the hunt for another Tin Indian.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Yeah, Hippie, my Dad was a Pontiac guy- that's where I got it from. The relatives still tell a story of him back in the 50's buying a new 347 ci engine from the Pontiac dealership- and then tearing it all down. They (still) couldn't understand why a "new" engine would need to be taken apart before being raced...

But around my house, Micky T. and Glen "Fireball" Roberts were names spoken w/the reverence usually reserved for the clergy! LOL

I think I must have gotten Safari from the screen name, my bad.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

I used to watch Mickey T run his super stock Pontiacs at Lions back in the early 60's. He must have gotten his cars free or at least very cheap from Pontiac then, even built a turbo'd 421 2-d Catalina with a 3 on the tree set up.

Only saw it run once, no traction even with the old M&H slicks he was using. He built a lot of oddball stuff back then......$.90 to get in and $.50 for a pit pass. Man, those were GREAT times.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

NOM, I know none of us gave you the answers you were looking for but think about it. You have a bunch of "Chevy" guys telling you to keep the Pontiac engine. That speaks volumes... You'll get a lot of favorable responses at shows when people look under the hood and see that big ol' Poncho V-8. With the Chevy, people will take one look and keep on walkin'.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Yeah, Hippie, my Dad was a Pontiac guy- that's where I got it from. The relatives still tell a story of him back in the 50's buying a new 347 ci engine from the Pontiac dealership- and then tearing it all down. They (still) couldn't understand why a "new" engine would need to be taken apart before being raced...

But around my house, Micky T. and Glen "Fireball" Roberts were names spoken w/the reverence usually reserved for the clergy! LOL

I think I must have gotten Safari from the screen name, my bad.
colbalt i could use the original hydramatic linkage if you dont need it
Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 PM

the engine should be installed bvy the end of this month or so and if the the shop is changing out the linkage you can have mine. nothing garunteed. its just playing the waiting game right now till they give me the ok to take it to the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56gmc
colbalt i could use the original hydramatic linkage if you dont need it
Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 PM

yeah i know. as i said in a nother forum before i understand chevy and pontiac or anything and chevy is going with the status quo of hot rodding, but its just something i was able to get my hands on to get her up and running and get the city off my back. i was cittied for "immobilized or abandoned on street". and i live in a damn cul de sac! im saving up to drop a 455 with dual straight pipes! i figured that bad boy would drag my car like a piece of paper in your hand. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
NOM, I know none of us gave you the answers you were looking for but think about it. You have a bunch of "Chevy" guys telling you to keep the Pontiac engine. That speaks volumes... You'll get a lot of favorable responses at shows when people look under the hood and see that big ol' Poncho V-8. With the Chevy, people will take one look and keep on walkin'.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOM
yeah i know. as i said in a nother forum before i understand chevy and pontiac or anything and chevy is going with the status quo of hot rodding, but its just something i was able to get my hands on to get her up and running and get the city off my back. i was cittied for "immobilized or abandoned on street". and i live in a damn cul de sac! im saving up to drop a 455 with dual straight pipes! i figured that bad boy would drag my car like a piece of paper in your hand. lol

Ah, been there. In a case like that "ya' gots to do what ya' gots to do". Don't let that stock drivetrain get away though. You may decide to put it back in someday and if not it's great trading material. Old "boat anchor" V-8's are real popular now.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

55-57 Pontiacs in Canada were Chevy clones. (Pontiacs on Chevy chassis -- They looked the same on the outside, but I'm not sure if frames were identical or not.)
The 265 SBC came stock in them, and they were mounted from the front of the engine rather than from the side. (The same as the Chevys)

Lots of aftermarket suppliers also list side mounts for SBC's which I'm sure are much sturdier.

TCI#725-7005-80

Englers Classic Chevy
Old 04-17-2010, 11:16 PM

i had to write a letter of appeal telling them it ran. pretty much just pushing it back and forth with myu truck.

would be nice to keep it on the car since the shop its going to is a full on machine /auto shop. so far they said im looking at fabricated mounts and adapters. so i can see it staying. just wont know till they actually start working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Ah, been there. In a case like that "ya' gots to do what ya' gots to do". Don't let that stock drivetrain get away though. You may decide to put it back in someday and if not it's great trading material. Old "boat anchor" V-8's are real popular now.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

NOM, That 316 is a good canditate for an origional two-four manifold, which can still be found on Racing Junk, Ebay, or in Hemmings. You just have to be patient and keep looking. THAT would make an attention getter.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.