chevy 350 in a 65 tempest (gto clone) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 350 in a 65 tempest (gto clone)

i found a 65 tempest ,no motor ,,or tranny ,,great body ,great glass, and interior, for 1500 bucks and wanted to get some opinions on installing a small block chevy and 4 speed instead of a pontiac motor because of lack of parts for pontiac. what do you guys think ,, thanks.
GO STEELERS!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 04:26 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

I got a 350 in my GTO, came with it.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Outrageous, that's WAY too much money ..... where did you say this POS was?

Seriously, keep it a Tempest and put a Pontiac motor in it. There are too many GTO clones and not enough cool old Tempests and LeMans'. A Pontiac may cost more to build but parts are PLENTIFUL and they run REALLY strong and the cool factor would be right off the chart. If you lay a 326 and a 455 side by side with the same intake and valve covers on them nobody except 'poncho62' or a handful of others could tell you which was which and a 326 or 350 Pontiac is capable of pretty strong street performance and 389's and up REALLY run strong. High 13's are a cake walk with a relatively mild 400, 3 speed automatic and 3.55 gears on 225/70 radials. Install a beefed up 200-4R OD with 3.73's and you've got real musclecar performace PLUS decent mileage. The 389 and 400 Catalinas were big old heavy cars but could pull 21 MPG plus at 65 MPH on bias ply tires! And even they would lay down some rubber and bury the 120 MPH speedo in about half a mile. Build a modern day 400 with a modern cam profile, aluminum heads and TBI and you will have one sweet ride. JMO though.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

it would not be a clone with a chevy engine in it
Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the input, just throwing around some ideas. my buddy is building a 79 bandit edition t/a and is always *****ing about how hard parts are to find or how expensive they are.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:41 PM

Last journal entry: pics
Last photo:

Who would've thought that to be different you would need to keep your pontiac poncho powered. The Chevy motor in a Pontiac/Olds/Buick has been done to death. The easy way out isn't always the best IMHO.

At least you can find some Pontiac stuff in Jegs or Summit. Try building a Buick . I wouldn't do it any different though.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi71
thanks for the input, just throwing around some ideas. my buddy is building a 79 bandit edition t/a and is always *****ing about how hard parts are to find or how expensive they are.
Expensive maybe but engine hardware is not hard to find, it's amazing how much is available for an engine that's been out of production for25+ years. Edelbrock went to the trouble of tooling up aluminum heads a few years ago so somebody out there is still building them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc66
Try building a Buick . I wouldn't do it any different though.
There's a company that used to be all Pontiac parts that switched to Buick a few years back and has tons of Buickperformance parts. I think it's TA Performance, have you checked them out?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:02 AM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

If you have no engine at all. I'd go pontiac 400, they're everywhere. You can find donor firebirds rotten for 1500$ driving. All the accesories are the same between gm anyway. A 350 doesn't quite look right in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b body brakes 005.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	9767  
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Last photo:

It'll work with Chevelle mounts & accessories, but you might want to look into Chevelle front springs, since the Pontiac V-8 weighs a good bit more than a SBC.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:34 PM

As far as the Tempest by all means forget the 350 Chevy. There are tons of Pontiac engine builders and suppliers out there to where can build whatever you want. Jeff and Mark Kauffman ( Kauffman Racing Equipment) recently developed and now have on the market aluminum D-port cylinder heads for Pontiacs, and in the same price range as Edelbrocks. Also there are numerous suppliers (Pontiac Dude-Ken's Speed and Machine, Spotts Perfoamance, Jim Butler Racing, Kauffman Racing, Ken Brewer at Pacific Performance Racing to name a few) that have everything in stock to do stock rebuilds to stroker kits to take a 400 to as far as 462 ci. I have been running a 71 GTO exclusivlly for last 19 years and in the process of doing another 400 for it, I have 3 right now, and with a stock 400, junk small valve heads and a decent cam this stock bodied full interiored car ran 13.70's in the quarter with a four speed and 3.23 gears with 29 inch tall slicks. All my engines to date have been stock bottoms ends, with just rod bolts replaced by ARP's and good bearings and a Melling oil pump and my shifts are done at 5600-5800 but have turned as high as 6200 with stock rods, the maximum safe limit on Pontiac rods. Plus that little 400 would wear out small block Chevys and a few big blocks. This last engine was stock bottom end with 670 heads, Lunati cam, stock iron intake and an 800 spreadbore double pump Holley ran a best of 8.46 in the eighth in 2004 and this was after busting a motor mount and trans mount and having to shift like grandma. This time I'm actually going to build and engine as I have one already bored .060 but needs better pistons plus the one I'm currently working on that will get bored. When finished I'm hoping to see some 7.30's in a street car with a hydraulic cam and should have less than $4000 in the engine when finished. Just some food for thought from a Pontiac man.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:52 PM

Grusome-----man- let me know what , or how, you're building your latest 400. Ive just recently picked up a 66 lemans- I have a 77 400 torn down , read Jim Hands book, and trying to figure out how to build a 462 for the least amount of cash. ( i mean i can see how you could spend a ton pretty quickly---but I dont want to pay for high end parts that i'm really not gonna benefit from). Not trying to highjack the post-----just trying to get the grusome to cough up some knowledge and experience. (it would be a great project post ! )
Old 02-20-2006, 09:02 AM

RedRobster, right now there is a discussion on what 400 blocks are best to build strokers out of on another board I belong to. The concensus is to use an earlier block fromsay the earlier 70's (i.e 72-74) as the webbing in the block is better on these castings. When I first started hearing about the strokers Kauffman Racing did one with E-heads, hydraulic roller that displaced 462ci, made 562hp and 564ftlbs of torque. 9.5:1 pump gas street engine. Jim Butler there in Tennesee also has some really exceptional engine builds. Building a big inch engine out of a 400 has really gotten to be a popular way to go as the smaller main journals in the 400 has less reciprocating mass than the 3.25 mains in the 421,428,or the 455 which allows for the smaller main journal engines to turn higher rpms and is easier on the bearings. Even though I would love to build a stroker engine right now for my GTO my budget won't allow it, a couple of years down the road, hopefully. Jim Hand is one of the best when it comes to Pontiac engines as he has done alot of research and testing to find what works and what doesn't. I haven't had the chance to order his book yet but have looked through it as I'm going to use it to port my 670 heads for my latest 400 build. If you really want to build a stroker engine you will benefit in the long run. One thing about a 77 400 is the rear flange on the crank is smaller than the earlier engines and will have to have a flywheel/flexplate for that particular crank. The smaller registry cranks were used from 76-79 if you decide to stay with the stock crank. If you want send me a pm and I can give you more indepth some good Pontiac builds.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

I would build a 389 with a tri-power or a 1969 400 with 4speed. they can keep up with a SBC or a BBC easy.......

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.