chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 12:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 350

i am trying yo finish my 79 chevy vett. it has a 350 ,60 over, they have a flat top looking piston could not fing any name on them. the heads are World Products s/r numbers are 92 wh 1-052 dont know how to tell what they are either do the number tell. the crank has numbers 8832442 or 3832442 cant find what they are. one of the hole drilled at the end has something weld in it what is this.Summit Cam and Lifter Kits
Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 282/ 292, Lift .465/ .488, Chevy, Small Block, Kit. it has com cam roller rockers 1.52 with double valve srings, spring in a spring. grear driven timig chain. a holley 4150 ,3310 . with 72 jets in front and 76 in back with 6.5 power valves.a summit Torque Converter 1,700 stall.and a set of shorty headers. i did not up grade the fuel pump.or Distributor Cap and Rotor . will it need to or will it be fine. this is the first car that i have done on my own. i started it today for couple mins and it ran good. could not drive it do to im painting it next week and its all apart. with what i listed what do you all think? start over or goog anything need changed or added. thank you all . i read the new post everyday to learn

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 01:15 AM

it also has the elderbrook performer intake, and the holley is a older 780 doble feeder . left it out of the first post . thank you all for your time
Old 07-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
I think the best way to find out about the heads is to call World Monday morning and ask for the particulars. Find out if they are S/R replacement heads or S/R Torquers, the chamber size, valve sizes, intake runner volumes and spring values at closed and specified lift.
http://www.worldcastings.com/contact.html

The crank might be 3932442, cast, used in 267, 305 and 350. 3.480" stroke. The hole/welding could be Mallory metal that was added to the counterweight to balance the rotating assembly.

Can't comment on the cam as I don't know your static compression ratio or desired rpm range.

I don't know if you're aware of camshaft break-in procedures, but you may have already shot yourself in the foot by running the motor with the heavy springs in place and operating it at low rpms.

"Gear driven timing chain" doesn't exactly make any sense to me. It's either a gear driven camshaft or a chain driven camshaft.

The 6.5 power valve may or may not be ok, depending on manifold vacuum, which you don't know yet.

1,700 is not enough stall to use with the cam you listed.

If you can maintain 5 lbs of pressure at the carb inlet with the pump you have, ok. If you can't, you'll need to do something different.

The distributor cap and rotor will be the least of your worries.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:38 AM

sorry its a gear driven cam. and the stall is 1,500 to 1,900 on the converter. as for the break in for the cam. what is the right way.did not set the rocker arms yet.how do i tell what the compression is and what rpm i want. thank you for any help i can get.

as for the power vavles i take the vac add divide by 2 and thats the power vavle i need. do i take the vac test off any vac line or do i use a certain one

Last edited by jimang22; 07-14-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
Copied from mortec.com...........

POWER VALVES and ENGINE VACUUM

There is a lot of misunderstanding concerning power valves in Holley carbs. Many 4-barrels come with a particular power valve depending on the carb list# and application. Some carbs have two power valves, while others only have one. The power valves are numbered by the amount of engine vacuum in inches at which they will open and add additional fuel to the power circuit. In other words a 6.5 power valve will open when the vacuum signal on the engine drops below 6.5" and will remain closed above that amount. One of the misconceptions is that they can't be trusted to work because an engine backfire or "belch" can "blow out" the power valve. Many Holley performance carbs models and list#'s now come with built in power valve "blow out" protection which eliminates this problem. If you have an older model carb you can purchase a small, inexpensive, easy to install kit from Holley (PN - 125-500) that will also protect the power valves in case of an engine blowback thru the carb. CENTEK in Redmond, Oregon, (see their website at www.powervalveshield.com ) also sells an inexpensive Holley power valve blow out protector, "Power Valve Shield", which takes about two minutes to install and does not require any drilling.

Many tuners will automatically remove the power valves and use a "plug" thinking this is the "hot" ticket. However, if the power valve is removed and plugged, the main jet size must be increased 6-10 jet sizes to make up the required fuel amount lost by the removal of the power valve. In addition, when the power valve circuit is plugged, the part throttle fuel economy is worsened and may become overly rich. Plug fouling may become a problem at part throttle.

Stock engines can have high vacuum readings (10-18 inches at idle) and the Holley power valves with higher readings like 6.5 to 10.5 will work correctly. Long duration non-stock camshafts and other performance related parts can cause a problem, because engine manifold vacuum may be lowered with these performance parts and the power valve, if incorrect, will always be open, even at part throttle, leading to an overly rich air/fuel mixture. The solution is to choose the correct power valve and to do that you need a vacuum gauge. On a manual transmission vehicle, hook up the vacuum gauge and take the reading with the engine at idle. Then use a power valve that is rated 1-2 inches below that amount. For example, a motor that shows 7" of vacuum at idle should use a 6.5 or 5.5 rated power valve. If you have an automatic transmission, take the vacuum reading at idle in "Drive" (with the emergency brake on and the wheels blocked) and chose the power valve 1-2 inches below that figure. You can get a little more detailed information by driving the car with a vacuum gauge hooked up with a longer hose so you can read it while driving. Drive the car at medium loads and while cruising and note the various vacuum readings. Then chose the appropriate power valve rating.

Holley makes performance style "standard" flow or a "high" flow power valve which has a large opening. "Single stage" power valves are available in 1" increment sizes from 2.5" thru 10.5". There are "two stage" power valves available that are more for "economy" minded users rather than "performance" enthusiasts.

Here's a link to 200 threads dealing with cam break-in posted here on hotrodders.com. All aspects of the procedure will be covered much more in depth than I could try to answer on this thread alone.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sear...archid=1192040

You won't be able to determine the static compression ratio of the motor without having the the heads off and measuring the piston deck height, volume in the piston crowns, head gasket thickness and combustion chamber volumes.

Last edited by techinspector1; 07-14-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.