chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 350

i know this has been talked about alot. I still have a few questions. We installed a new summit cam and lifters 216 duration and a .454/.454 lift cam. I had the intake off and found #1 cylinder at tdc and both lifters down. I adjusted both rockers for that cylinder. Then, went to #8 cylinder and both lifters down and adjusted both rockers. We keep going thru firing order.

I further read from chevy service manual to adjust by finding tdc for #1 and adjusting certain intakes and exhaust valves for that tdc and then rotate crank 360 degrees where the cam gear dot is at 6 oclock and the crank gear dot is at 12 oclock. This should be tdc for #6 cylinder and then adjusting the last eight valves.

Not knowing the correct way we re-adjusted to the service manual way. Would the cam we put in still use the service manual way or should we re-adjust cylinder by cylinder method. If we re-adjust to the cylinder by cylinder method, can we do this with just the valve covers off or do we need to take off the intake agin in order to see the lifters? Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM

I have always adjusted them the "service manual" way to get them somewhat adjusted for startup and I have a set of valve covers that I cut the top off of and do final adjustments with motor running. Not the right way I'm sure but it's always worked out good for me as I hate pulling valve covers on and off several times when conventional methods don't work the way they are suppose to. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Here is a straight forward way to do it.

Valve adjustment proceedure.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM

chevy 350

I did it he way cabbellerokid explained but, just wondering if the cam we installed is different from the stock version. Someone said on a post that the way cabellerokid explained was for stock cams. They said that performance cams would not be on the downside of the lobe. Does anyone know if the cam we put in is still close enough to stock to not worry about it? summit cam SUM-k0052 kit 216 duration .454/.454 lift
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

i have always adjusted my valves and set my valve lash by the EO-IC method

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...nfo/index.html
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

I have done the EO-IC method before as well and it will work just fine. In fact, my cam that I'm running is almost the same as that cam. So either of the two ways will be just fine for you. Good luck
Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Everybody has their own preferred way of adjusting valves and now I will share mine too.

When I adjust valves I put one cylinder at TDC compression and check its companion cylinder is at TDC exhaust and both valves are in overlap. I remove all of the spark plugs then place the engine at #1 TDC compression and verify #6 is at TDC exhaust with both valves in overlap. When cylinder #1 is adjusted I roll the engine 90 degrees until #8 is at TDC compression and its companion (#5) is now at TDC exhaust with the valves in overlap. I keep rotating the engine 90 degrees at a time and adjusting the valves until the crank has gone through two complete revolutions and is back at #1 TDC compression.

This way is a little slow but is a little more methodical. You're only adjusting two valves on one cylinder at a time, not 8 valves at a time at different places on the engine.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Blazin 72, that is pretty much the EO-IC method which pretty much the most preferred method
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
Blazin 72, that is pretty much the EO-IC method which pretty much the most preferred method
You're adjusting the intake valve when the exhaust valve is open on that cylinder, correct? If that's the case then yes it would be close enouhg to be considered similar I suppose.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.